Monday, October 29, 2007

It's bad when...

...the first word out of your mouth in the morning is "shit" or "fuck." Such was the case for me this morning when I got up and my side hurt so badly that it took my breath right away. I took a luscious nap on the couch while B. was watching racing yesterday, but the side effect seems to be this pesky heart-ripping pain in my lower back. Either I've pulled a muscle or my kidney hates me. I don't really care, I just want it to STOP. So I'll be taking a handful of Aleve and going home shortly. Will I be lying on the couch, though? Hellfire, no! No more naps for me if this is the result.

My reading has officially gone all to hell. I was trucking along--slowly, mind you--on A Thousand Splendid Suns when all of a sudden I just stopped wanting to read it. Not at all. No more. Nope. Not sure if it's an attention span thing or what, but all I really want to read in the world is short stories or memoirs. The R.I.P. Challenge ends here in a few days and I don't even care if I finish that. Bah! Give me David Sedaris or Haven Kimmel.

NO fiction.

And I can't even begin to explain when I ever thought those words would come out of my mouth (or fingertips as it were). I think it's a side effect of stress and too many commitments. Maybe it'll clear up soon. I hope so, anyway, because I have an ass-load of fiction in my house.

On the topic of responsibility, I hate responsibility sometimes. Periodically I get this rush of my adolescent self whining, "I don't WANT to do that!" Usually this lack of wanting is directed at my work, my family or my hobbies. Right now, just the first and last of those three. If I could sit on my ass all day and play SIMS or the vocab. game at FreeRice I SO totally would. But I can't, so I'm going to lay across a row of chairs here in the writing center in hopes that my back will fall off.

On ye olde iPod: "Nothin' Better to Do"...Leann Rimes

Update: It's now 8:07 pm and I'm still in lots of pain. I'm downing Aleve like candy and leaning on a heating pad begging for mercy. Yet I still find time to type this little update, so maybe there's hope for me yet.

While I was stuck in the upright position at the Writing Center this afternoon I trompled downstairs to the fiction section and checked out Frankenstein (even though I have a copy here at home), and started reading it. I took a big chunk out fairly quickly, so hopefully I'll finish it by the time the R.I.P. ends on Wednesday. I should've read this book years ago, but I'm sort of glad I didn't, otherwise I couldn't be RIP'ing it for the very first time. Isn't it a shame to get those really great books under your belt? You can never read them for the first time ever EVER again.

I owe you all a review of No One Belongs Here More Than You, too. Maybe tomorrow.

OK, back to my heating pad.

12 comments:

  1. It might well be a muscle cramp as a result of the posture. I hope you feel better.

    As to The Thousand Splendid Suns, I heard a lot of good things about the book, but I have yet to read his first book, The Kite Runner, so I'll have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has it gotten any better? I hope so! Hope it was just something simple that will go away soon.
    I say go with your whims and read what you want otherwise you won't enjoy your current reads at all. You can get back to them another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sleep on the futon a lot and I do tend to often wake up sore or cramped. Hope you feel better.

    I'm obviously very good at avoiding responsibility or I wouldn't be sitting at home, typing away. Har.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been sleeping on the couch a lot myself. Don't always wake up feeling just right either. Makes my hips hurt! I hope it feels better now!

    I hate to hear you're having trouble with Suns. I've been looking forward to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought both the Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns after I saw an interview with the author and have not begun either of them. How is Suns so far?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your back is feeling better soon, Andi. I need to read Frankenstein now that I have Dracula under my belt.

    "Nothin' Better to Do" was just playing on the radio here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you poor thing! The hubby is having some back issues right now too and I feel so bad for you both! You sound like you're in agony. Maybe you should go to the doctor?

    You are too funny about the reading. That happens to me some times too and it's so weird. I thought I was the only one...and I love: "You can never read them for the first time ever EVER again" You are so right. I really, really need to get reading all of those classic books that I have just neglected thus far!

    Hope you're feeling better soon. Take care of yourself. If the Aleve fails to give you some relief try Whiskey...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're feeling better. But how strange is it that I was just talking to my flatmate about waking up in pain? Luckily for me it was her doing the pain thing and not me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pain was sudden? Lower back, near the kidneys? Don't want to scare you, but you should get it checked out - at least reassure yourself it's just a pulled muscles and nothing major.

    You take care.

    "Isn't it a shame to get those really great books under your belt? You can never read them for the first time ever EVER again."
    ~ but we can always re-read them.

    Sometimes, re-reading a great book, we respond differently. And it's not because the book is different, but because you are no longer the same.

    I get that sometimes, and some parts of the same book now seem to make sense when I was completely indifferent the first reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, I so hope you're feeling better today?

    Yes, I have had times when fiction gets too much for me and I need the comfort of a real, true-to-life story. I'm reading a really nice one at the moment, Edwidge Danticat's "Brother, I am Dying".

    Feel better soon Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't carry a heavy purse on your shoulder!

    Yoga helps...

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you feel well soon. I'll have to send you some chicken noodle soup on Facebook, or something. I just finished The Kite Runner recently myself, and was interested by it, but not necessarily "moved" by it. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!