Monday, October 01, 2007

The month in review (another Nick Hornby rip off)...

It's that time again. Time to rehash and recap the books I've inhaled this month and those that have walked through my door with a glimmer of hope that I might actually pick them up and read them someday (fat chance).

The good news is that the number of books I've acquired this month is down significantly from last month's deluge. In fact, as far as I can remember, only five books have flown through my door this month. Or, should I say, five that I will keep. There's always a steady stream of readables passing through my hands and into those of the Estella's Revenge reviewers, but I only keep a very small portion for myself.

Acquired:
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner. This one is from PopMatters.com, and I'll be reviewing it soon. I'll post a link when the review appears.
  • A Girl Named Zippy, by Haven Kimmel, is in preparation for an author reading that's coming up. Kimmel will be appearing at the University of North Carolina - Wilmington, and moi will be there!
  • On the Road (audio), which I actually managed to read this very month!
  • How to Read Literature Like a Professor, by Thomas C. Foster because I adore books about books.
  • Naked, by David Sedaris, because I am officially addicted.

Read:

  • Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte which I've already reviewed, HERE.
  • A Cook's Tour, by Anthony Bourdain, which I've already reviewed HERE.
  • On the Road, by Jack Kerouac, which I've already reviewed HERE.
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day, which I've recently discussed.
  • Hauntings: And Other Tales of Danger, Love and Sometimes Loss, which I'll be officially reviewing for Estella's Revenge (should go online tonight or tomorrow).

And because I've done such a wonderful job of keeping up with my reviewing this month, this post is entirely anticlimactic. Hmmphf. Way to shoot myself in the foot.

So, in order to spice things up a bit, try reading Stephen King's essay from The New York Times Book Review, entitled "What Ails the Short Story." It's a nice discussion of the state of American short stories today from the editor of this year's Best American Short Stories collection. And, no matter what you think about King, please, admit it...he's a hell of a short story writer. He makes my butt pucker every time, and that's the highest praise I can conceivably give to any short story writer. I certainly don't make my own butt pucker with anything more than disdain for my own creative writing, so I obviously have much work to do.

I'm going to read...

4 comments:

  1. You've got some great books to look forward to - A Girl Named Zippy and Naked. Loved Naked.
    September was a great reading month for me but it was due to vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought How to Read Literature Like a Professor along with Reading Like A Writer a while ago. I still haven't got to read the first one so it will be a winter break read. :)

    Thousand Splendid Suns sounds good from reviews all over independent bookstores so I'll give it a try. (I didn't read The Kite Runner yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Iliana! I'm really looking forward to A Girl Named Zippy, too. Maybe I'll get to start it this weekend.

    Matt, winter break reads are the best! All snuggled down with a book and cocoa (with rum in it...no, wait, that's the stress talking).

    ReplyDelete
  4. im reading a thousand splendid suns right now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!