Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pushing daisies...

I'm so glad this three-day week is almost over. I'm trapped at work until all hours tonight, I've been pestered by students all day, and my ankle is swollen to the size of a ham. And I have a headache. One of those dull ones that feels a bit like a rod up the back of the neck. Like your head won't turn just right to relieve the pressure while your head slowly fills up with snot to the point of bursting. Yep, one of those.

But, on the brighter side, I think I have a new favorite TV show. I was talking to Thesis Director, and speaking of, I really must rename her here since a) I'm done with my thesis b) she can now be thought of as a proper friend because I'm not a student anymore. Hmmm, in the grand tradition of absolutely no imagination, I'll just call her S. Anyway, so I was talking to S. last night and she suggested I should watch Pushing Up Daisies on ABC because she spent a good 45 minutes watching it in her office when she should've been grading papers. I'm always up for some good procrastination material, so I gave it a watch just now when I should've been grading papers. Sure enough, it's fantastic. It will certainly become a favorite afternoon viewing experience of mine since I have multiple hours to kill before my Tuesday/Thursday night classes.

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a really quirky, pretty, stylized dramedy about a guy who can touch dead things and bring them back to life. The catches: if he touches them again, they go back to being dead; if they stay alive for more than a minute someone nearby will die in their place. I'm sure you see the possible pitfalls.

Anywho, it's just a really gorgeous show in addition to being quirky and funny and sweet. The sets and manic colors sort of remind me of Tim Burton if he were rolled in Sweet Tart dust. Don't look at me like that, you know exactly what I mean.

Well, as much as I'd love to stay here and chat, I have about a zillion articles to write, papers to grade, review books to read, and a couple of Spring courses to plan, so I guess I should be going. Although, truthfully, I'll probably end up turning off the light, retreating to the floor of my office, and taking a leetle nap. I hope they vacuumed today.

8 comments:

  1. I'm trying really hard not to watch as much TV, but I did watch the season premiere last week. It is a really unusual show. I think eventually the couple not being able to touch is going to drive me nuts. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard EVERYONE talking about this show. Because I live in stupid Italy I don't get it. Maybe next season :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I hope you had a nice nap on that sketchy carpet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy, it is very unusual! I hope it makes it. The visual style reminded me not only of Tim Burton, but also of that French film, Amelie. So pretty and vibrant (and ironic given the plot). And, yes, it's going to drive me nuts, too. LOL, although, incidentally, it ties right into the short story collection I'm writing re: touch...or the lack of.

    Awww, well, you can watch it online if you have a fast connection!! THere are two episodes on the ABC website.

    Heather, I ended up staying upright (for the mostpart). lol The carpet was a little *too* scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHH!!! ME TOO!! I looooove it too pieces! The writing is so good and that guy...the pie-maker...is so sweet! And so is Chuck! And I love that Emerson knits! How is that for exclamation points!!!??! LOL

    And I absolutely hate Kristin Chenowith. No one should be a) that skinny with b) a great rack and c) a fantastic voice. Just not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Heather. Agreed on all points. I especially love the pie-maker. He's sweet and HOT. I'm going to rewatch an episode online as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite new show, too! It's so perfect, and I look forward to it every week. And who wouldn't have a weakness for a cute boy who bakes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great episode last night! I am loving this show as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!