Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Best Day EVER!

*knock on wood*

I expect lightning any time. Yesterday was SO good, it can't possibly continue.

First, I got to school and saw Bossman (English Dept. Head) outside, and he informed me that I have an office and an e-mail address for the Spring. I'm being treated as a full-on, full-time faculty member, so I get the office all to myself with a COMPUTER and a WINDOW and everything!!! I have some meerkat window stickies that will be right at home (thanks, Funky!).

After that bit of excitement died down, I went on with my day as usual. Taught a few classes (we watched Supersize Me), worked in the writing center, and killed time in the afternoon (code for "played SIMS2) until time for my night class.

That's when it happened...around 5:00. IT. The big it. The best it I could ask for. One of my fellow reading teachers came in and informed me that my night class that runs from 7:30-9:45 only meets until DECEMBER 4TH!!!! Which means after December 4th I'll get home at a decent hour. I could not be more excited. Well, maybe a little...

So I rolled into the driveway at about 10:30 and promptly checked the mail because my b-day present from my mom was on the way. And what was it, you ask? $100!!! Yayyyy! I can buy shoes or books or something else fun without feeling guilty!!

But that's not all. OH no. There was a largeish envelope in the mail for me, too. When I saw the University of Connecticut seal I KNEW. It was my contributor copy of the journal with MY FIRST ACADEMIC PUBLICATION! I wrote a review of Fables, by Bill Willingham, for Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States (MELUS) and it's finally out. This is a kickass special issue dealing with issues of ethnicity in graphic narrative (comics) with an original cover by Gilbert Hernandez. For those who might not be familiar, Hernandez, along with his brother Jaime (Los Bros Hernandez), wroting the uber-famous Love & Rockets series which helped define the alternative comics movement in the 1980s. SO COOL. So freakin' cool to be in print with lots of great scholars in a subject area I'm really passionate about. Even though I'm not doing the PhD, I have every intention of dusting off some of my other material that needs to be sent out for publication.

Keep your fingers crossed!


19 comments:

  1. Congrats on the perfect day!! An office of your own?? That itself seems like a reason to go buy new shoes!!

    By the way, a late Happy Birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first academic publication is on Fables? Andi, you rock! You more than rock :D

    I have always wanted to read Love & Rockets. I'll keep it in mind for Dewey's Graphic Novels challenge.

    I'm glad to hear things are going so well for you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, thanks! And I agree. I'm itching to go to Target and look for cute desk accessories and a lamp. And posters! Or wall art in general. Ohhh, the lustful need for Target items.

    Os, thanks!

    Nymeth, thanks!! I actually worked with Fables for the entirity of my grad school career. I wrote a term paper on it in 2005 and it grew into my Master's thesis. Now I've got this review in MELUS, and it might turn into an essay in a book. We'll see! Keep your fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantabulous! (and happy late birthday as well). I am soooo jealous about the office with a window (my part time job only merits a small little cave that used to be a storage room). And congrats on the publication as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, sounds like you are having a great week!

    Congrats on the publication!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your first publication! Sure there'll be many, many more where that came from. I should think that alone justifies shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Andi! Congrats on your published article. Are you still jumping for you? I know I'd be :)
    I hope the good luck continues!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't you the lucky birthday girl? :) Happy belated birthday and congratulations on the new office and the *publication*.

    I think we really need to pop open a bottle of champagne. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a day for you--congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the publication, the new office, the full time job...and Happy Belated Birthday!
    Can you tell I'm finally starting to catch up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Yay! Yay! Academic pub on graphic novels - you are way cool! Congratulations on your own office! All that privacy - to play Scrabulous and other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That does sound like a perfect day indeed. I hope it continues for you. I will check out your article, as well. It sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on everything!

    It's funny-- in my longtime group of friends, it's just assumed that you know and love "Love and Rockets." It's not uncommon to hear something like "It's very 'Hernandezbrothersesque'" come out of our mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on being published, and on all the other great things happening to you. I love days like this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic!! Congrats, Andi!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's fantastic news Andi! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats!!! Is this something one could pick up easily? I love me some Fables and would love to have that magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carl, it's somewhere in between. You can order a copy from the MELUS website (google it). The special issue that my very short review is in is $25 because it's put out by a univ. press and it's big (300ish pages).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!