Monday, November 12, 2007

Birthday Bliss


I had a phantasmagorical birthday! Yes, oh yes, I did. I've told you all that I don't discuss B. here simply because he's not a big fan of the blog thing, but I just have to brag about him because he was SO GREAT for my birthday.

He started Friday night by pissing me off royally. Diversion tactics--gotta love 'em. After leading me to believe that he'd forgotten to get me anything for my birthday, he popped up out of his recliner around 5:30 and said something to the effect of, "Got something to do, be back soon." And left. Left in a cloud of dust. He called about half an hour later and said he was "wheeling and dealing" but he'd be back soon.

Around 7:00 I heard him roll back in, and he opened the door with a wicked smile on his face and said, "I bought myself something for your birthday." That something was a Holland Grill. Needless to say, I was a bit peeved that he went off and bought such an extravagant toy when the whole time I thought he was out doing birthday things. I squelched my anger down (not very well), and we went to dinner, watched some TV and generally did our normal Friday night stuff.

Saturday dawned, and I rolled over around 6:30 AM and said, "Do you know what today is??" He whipped out a birthday card with an iTunes giftcard from somewhere in the neighborhood of the nightstand, so I was pleasantly surprised that he did know what day it was!

B. has never been big on elaborate birthday celebrations, so I expected my very sweet card and gift card to be the extent of the celebration, and it would've been more than enough. However, the man had more up his sleeves. We went downtown to the Veteran's Day parade for a few hours, a big event in our small town, and picked up some barbecue for his folks on our way home. His brother and sister-in-law showed up at the house not long after, and B. disappeared into a back room. I just assumed he was gone to the bathroom. NOPE! He surfaced a few minutes later with a gorgeous cake trimmed in red icing roses, and it said "Happy Birthday, Andi!" with a very large, "27" candle in a corner.

I think my exact words were, "You're killin' me."

I was so surprised. His mom and dad and bro and sis-in-law all whipped out gifts, and we sat around talking and eating cake into the afternoon. B. took great joy in pointing out the fact that "Andi can be had" and that he's "sneaky sneaky."

After some lounging and an afternoon nap, we picked up and drove out to the boonies to a fantastic little seafood restaurant called Holland's Shelter Creek. Anyone driving by would NOT KNOW this place is fantastic. It looks kinda scary...all fall-down-like and, well, sort of like a bait shop.

We walked in, perused the general store part, and sat down for a fantastic meal of clam chowder, grilled shrimp, cajun catfish, fries, cole slaw, and hush puppies. And a pitcher of tea, of course. It was the perfect ending to a fantastic birthday, and I'm so so so thankful for B. and all the sweet stuff he did. He didn't have to, but he really made me feel special.

It's a good start to year #27.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great bday weekend! Sometimes we (guys) can pull out a trick or two!

    I want to know more about you being able to be had. Do we sign up for that somewhere?

    Oh, as someone who it totally land-locked and wary of anyplace in town that claims to be a "seafood" place, your dinner made me drool all over the keyboard. Good thing I'm at work and it's not mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Looks like you had a terrific celebration! And have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this is wonderful! Yay to a great start to #27.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you had a good birthday weekend. I love surprises. They're the best. I hope your 27th year continues the way it started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Andi! Glad you had such a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Andi! Glad it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great. Boyfriend doesn't like when I talk about sweet things he does on the blog either, but sometimes you can't help it, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee. Happy 27th Birthday. Your boyfriend is really sweet.

    But you really had no idea? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to share a birthday month with such a cool person! Happy birthday! Glad you ended up having an enjoyable one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! My son's birthday was on Friday - I do so like Scorpios. So glad you were made a fuss of - it is absolutely essential.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go B!!! Glad he gave you the spoilage you needed. Glad your 27th year started out so well!

    And I swear, as soon as I finish your present, it's in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, Happy Belated Birthday. I am SO GLAD it was such a good one! You make me miss NC...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday. Glad it was a good one! 27 is a good age to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear you had such a great birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's right! It was your birthday! Well happy birthday. I was going to ask if it was as good as last year's, but I know you can't compare. Glad you had a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday, Andi! Sounds like it was a fantastic one. Hope the rest of the year is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwww, whadda guy! I'm glad you had such a lovely celebration. Happy, happy belated. May the coming year be your best yet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great day but wait until tomorrow! :-) Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!