Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Why Can't I Get A Massage Like This?

I'm back! I had to endure the plague for a night and a morning, but I think I'm going to make it. According to B. the "pigeon must not have been cooked properly." A reference to the Chinese take-out that almost sent me to my grave. I knew I shoud've come home and cooked the very healthy tilapia. That cosmic bite in the ass will have me reeling for some time and totally avoiding chicken lo mein.

In happier news, I'm tickled to report that my students aren't completely lost causes. In fact, they're turning into "real college students," as I often refer to those responsible, driven few that make a college class worth teaching.

At the beginning of the semester, my 8am class was a group of problem children. They were late, they talked *all* the time, they got horrrrrrible, vile, deplorable grades (think 35s). But, somehow, throughout the course of the semester they've turned into real students. They study, they don't talk out of turn (as much), and they're generally and all-around likable class. Getting up at 6:00 still sucks, but teaching at 8:00 is perfectly pleasant.

My night class is another story. They get to have a "come to Jesus" with Ms. Andi tonight. They're gonna hate it.

I have serious things to post about, lovelies, but I have a stack o'papers to grade. This real job thing really cuts into my playtime.

In the near future you can expect ruminations on:

1. My proclivity for the non-traditional.

2. Pnin, by Vladimir Nabokov.

3. My shoddy--but upwardly mobile--relationship with libraries.

4. My upcoming birthday (Saturday, Nov. 10th) and the tendency for birthdays to lose their luster as one approaches 30.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer about the pigeon--hope you're feeling better by the hour!

    I LOVED the "come to Jesus" meetings I had with my students! I considered it a success if I could get just one of the kiddies to shed a tear!

    Nice mention of the bday (but I had already planned on a huge celebration...). I must disagree about them losing their luster. I travelled to Dallas for my 50th and had a great bday. Got to meet all of my bloggy friends down there too! Almost... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now my play time is cutting into my blogging time :)
    Sorry to hear you had some bad food. Isn't that the worst. It's like you never want to go out to eat again! And, yay for an upcoming birthday - how will you celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey one of my Bffs bdays is Sat as well! Personally I have hated them all since I turned 28, but I hope you have a great one!

    I got sick off of lo mein once and have never been near it since. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Os! I think you probably has the best 50th ever. From what I've heard anyway. :)

    Iliana, the birthday celebration, as it's planned right now, will consist of a lovely dinner at a seafood restaurant ON THE WATER! I haven't been to the place before, but B. says it's good, and I can't wait to try it!

    Cold, thanks! It took me until about last week to remember I even had a bday coming up. That's NEVER happened!

    And cheeseballs were my nemesis for a while. Got sick after eating part of one once and it was nastyyy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!