Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Christmas Recap

A merry day-after-Christmas to you all. I hope you're still lounging at home and haven't had to go back to work just yet, but if you have had to go back to work, I hope you're surfing the Internet instead of doing whatever it is you're supposed to be doing. The holidays are all about procrastination and tomfoolery, right?? Right!

Despite the fact that I've been on meds for a few days now, I'm still holed up in my pajamas. I am feeling better--less snot in my head--but now I've taken to coughing like an 80-year-old smoker and sound decidedly mannish. I was shocked and awed that the folks at Best Buy could discern my femininity over the phone this morning. Props to the Geek Squad.

I had a fantastic...or fantastique...Christmas. B. and I opened our gifts on Christmas eve, and yesterday I cooked a bunch of stuff (cheesy hash brown casserole, deviled eggs, sausage balls) and we went next door to his parents' house. We had a pretty good crowd and spent a sizeable portion of the day opening gifts, chatting and stuffing our faces. It was an excellent day.


And while gifts should certainly NOT be the total focal point of Christmas, who are we kidding! WE all want to report on our gifts. So without further ado, here's a pic (click for a larger version) of my haul and the breakdown below:

-I Love Lucy season 1 from B.
-Best of Molly Shannon DVD from B.
-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD from B.
-Beautimous painting that I've been lusting after for ages from B. (for my office)
-Speedy Suppers cookbook from my mom
-Fossil watch from Mom
-Laptop (technically not a Christmas gift...more a Christmas miracle) from Mom
-4 GB jump drive from B. (in sincere hopes that I'll back up my stuff more diligently now that my laptop has kicked the proverbial bucket)
-Journal from my cousins
-The Office magnets from Mom...for my office
-bookmarks (Mom)
-iTunes gift card (Rachel)
-A dog/puppy a day desk calendar
-A pink, flat, monthly desk calendar thingy (cousins)

Not pictured:
-$50 Barnes & Noble gift card
-Embroidered pillow cases (B's bro and sis-in-law)
-Money (B's parents)
-A fuzzy blanket (cousins)
-A cute angel ornament (Rachel)
-A magnet that says "I gave up jogging because my thighs rubbing together kept setting my pantyhose on fire." (Rachel)
-Trouser socks (Mom)

'

And when in the land of Half-Price book stores, one must take advantage! These are the books I managed to fit in my suitcase and carry-on to bring back to NC. There are a few left in Texas, although the titles elude me at the moment.

  • The Stolen Child, by Keith Donohue (audio)
  • Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton (audio)
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See
  • The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly
  • The Birth of Venus, by Sarah Dunnant
  • In the Country of Last Things, by Paul Auster
  • Travels in the Scriptorium, by Paul Auster
  • Demonology: Short Stories, by Rick Moody
  • the latest edition of the Tin House literary journal

Ahh, books!

My strength is waning, so I'm going to wrap this post up, but keep an eye out for my upcoming "Favorite Books of 2007" post, and a recap of this month's reading.

Watching: Catch and Release

17 comments:

  1. It's said, I know, but I always feel like after Christmas sales are for those of us who want to pick up what we didn't get for Christmas that we wanted . . . ;-)

    That cough sounds terrible, Andi. I hope you are clear of it soon. So glad you had a nice Christmas though! Looks like you did very well, loot wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have that accursed and maddening cough too? One day last week, hubby and I went to the Galleria in Dallas and while I was there, I was coughing so bad, I thought for sure that somebody would call the Center for Disease Control and accuse me of spreading tuberculosis or something. I have been rummaging through my medicine cabinets for anything that will provide relief. Thankfully, I have some leftover medicines.
    Since we are sharing what Santa brought us for Xmas, I thought I would divulge my spoils of said holiday:
    1). My numbered children never know what to get me but they do know they are always safe with gift cards to bookstores. Smart choice--so they are still in my will.
    2). They also had custom made shirts with teacher stuff on them--" Don't make me get the Red pen out" and "if I am talking you should be taking notes." You know, kind of like the shirts I get from CafePress.com.
    3) Hubby and I bought a 46" flat screen, a 26" flat screen, a Wii for ourselves.

    So, I think we definitely had a good Xmas. I am glad that you had an opportunity to stock up on books--more is always better! TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling a bit better. Hope that cough goes away soon though. Nice Christmas loot! And thanks for reminding me of Tin House. I keep meaning to try an issue but then forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lit Feline, me too!!! I'll be hitting up some of those sales today as a matter of fact. I have my eye on some new jeans and bras (glamorous, eh?...pshaw). The cough IS terrible and I'm SOOOO VERY sick of it. I'm shoveling Mucinex with lightning speed.

    Fem, WOW at all the flat screens. I can't tell B. Nope. He'll run out and find an after Christmas sale. LOVE the t-shirts and the book gift cards!

    Nat, I've meant to try Tin House for some time, too. One of my favorite short story writers--Miranda July--is published in Tin House often. The editor, Rick Moody, is another writer I'm not familiar with, but I since I found his book Demononlogy for cheap at Half-Price, I couldn't help but pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops, and that was me, of course. Forgot to log out of the Estella account. Arrrg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ethan Frome - yay! Have you read it before?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great haul! And great luck at Half-Price; I stopped by our neighborhood one yesterday, but sadly, they didn't have much that I wanted.

    So sorry to hear you're sick. I'm back at work, wishing that I was home reading On Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soj, I haven't read it before. I'm excited about it!

    Purl, there have been very few times I haven't found something at Half-Price...but it does happen occasionally. Maybe you can stock up next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a haul! We haven't actually celebrated Christmas yet, since the kiddo doesn't arrive for a few more hours. Keep your fingers crossed that the snow doesn't start piling up, as I have to drive I-80 to Omaha in a little while.

    Oh, how I miss Half-Price books!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those Office magnets! And the painting is so lush with those colours. I miss Half Price Bookstore so much, but there's a really good used book store downtown here that I plan on visiting soon. Yay for books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great haul! I have to do a recap post sometime soon. We had an excellent Christmas.

    I can't wait for you to read The Stolen Child and The Book of Lost Things. They are a couple of my very best favorites.

    That sounds like the cough I had at Thanksgiving. It's the pits. Hope it goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heart Half Price Books, but then I heart all book stores. I hope you feel better. I think everyone in Dallas has been sick this month. Way too cold and wet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang. Hope you are feeling better soon. It sucks royally to be sick during the holidays.

    Well....for those of us starting NEW jobs this year or those of us NOT in the education field, back to work we go!! Next holiday, I plan on having more time off. This year, it's not happening. But I did get a nice Christmas haul myself. Money and Macy's gift cards from my parents (they really just can't buy for me). My in-laws stocked me up on new sheets/comforter, bath & body supplies, new flannel pj's and slippers....and yes, more money! No books from anyone, but at least I can BUY a few!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Les, I've definitely got my fingers crossed for you. Be safe! And have fun celebrating!

    Eva, the magnets crack me up. They're gonna be in a very conspicuous place. lol

    Heather, I'm listening to The Stolen Child already!!! I put it in my car yesterday when I went to pick up my dead laptop. It was a good two hours of listening and I'm SO HOOKED. The readers are great.

    Kristy, I'm so ready to be done with this sinusitis business. It sucks!

    Stephanie, it sounds like you made a great haul! Enjoy your book shopping (and Macy's!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great stuff! I'm so excited for you.

    My wife got Season one of I Love Lucy as well and has been enjoying it over the holiday.

    Doh! I was just in Half Price books yesterday and didn't look at the audio books. Wish I had, I would have snagged a copy of The Stolen Child as well. It is on my to be read list and I'd love to knock it out while driving to and from work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An awesome haul there Andi! Staying in pyjamas is the perfect remedy for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, has left to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!