Sunday, December 16, 2007

An Early Christmas and the 2008 TBR Challenge

I'm on my second day in Texas, and I'm having a great time so far! We had our big family gathering today, and much fun and overeating was had/done by all. I got some great gifts for my office (desk calendar, sticky note dispenser, The Office magnets, journal), and my mom gave me some things very close to my heart...bookmarks! And a Deal or No Deal interactive DVD game for B. and me (we're DOND nuts). I won't bore you with the whole gift list, but it was a great haul! And I can fit it all in my suitcase for the plane ride back!


Mizbooks has announced the 2008 TBR Reading Challenge, and I've been ruffling through my Goodreads and Shelfari accounts trying to decide what to put on my list. I had a miserable showing in 2007, reading only 2 of my 12 chosen titles (The Human Stain and The End of the Affair). While they were both fantastic books, I didn't even put a dent in the pile, so I'm hoping for a better turn-out in 2008.


Without further ado, here's my projected list:


First Tier Picks:


To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee (since I'm the last person on the planet who hasn't read it)
Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey
The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner
Other Voices, Other Rooms, by Truman Capote
A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin
How to Read and Why, by Harold Bloom
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, by Gabrielle Zevin
Oracle Night, by Paul Auster
Clown Girl, by Monica Drake
Fables #7: Arabian Nights (and Days), by Bill Willingham


Tier Two Picks (Altnernates):


Dreams From My Father, by Barack Obama
The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman (can't bear for the series to be OVER!)
Mrs. Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf
The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison
The Position, by Meg Wolitzer


Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. Ok then. Good Luck!! I sucked majorly on this year's TBR challenge, but I'm sure I'll throw my hat into the ring again!!

    I can't believe you have never read To Kill a Mockingbird!! It's one of the few books I've read multiple times (Great Expectations and The Stand are the others!) I really liked Never Let me Go too. You have some great books on this list!!

    Have fun in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for putting my novel, Clown Girl, on the list! Hope it brings a few laughs, and a few ideas, or something like that. Mostly, I hope you enjoy it.
    With all appreciation,
    -monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have read Mockingbird, Cuckoo's Nest, and Bloom's book, although like all his books, I cannot tell you a thing about it. Yet, I have never read The Sound and The Fury. I have read some of Faulkner's short stories, but not his novels. I have read Arabian Nights but not in graphic narrative. I assume the one you mentioned is a GN? That is interesting. Let me know if that is any good, I may want to check it out.
    Have a Happy Winter Solstice-Fem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy early Christmas!
    I sucked on this year's TBR Challenge too and have decided not to do it again next year. Good luck to you though! And I wish Pullman would hurry up and finish the 4th book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Andi! I have Never Let Me Go on my alternates list this year. I hope to get to my alternates, something I didn't get to do much of this year. I'm hopeful though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for presents!!!

    Good luck on the challenge. I signed up for this one too. Let's hope we can get a little more read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list! You've got a nice variety there. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird and Other Voices, Other Rooms and enjoyed Never Let Me Go and Dreams From My Father. Look forward to your reviews! Oh, and great Christmas haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie, join us! Let's suck it up together. lol

    I can't believe I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird either! I don't know how I've gotten this far without it.

    Monica, thanks so much for dropping by! I received the book from your publisher a while back with intentions of reviewing it for http://www.estellasrevenge.com but it got packed in a move. I'm a little late on the upswing, but I'm really looking forward to reading and reviewing it.

    Fem, it is a gn, but the title is a bit misleading. Like the rest of the Fables series, it takes the Arabian Nights theme and spins it to make something new. Will definitely report in about how it goes.

    Thanks, Nat! I need all the luck I can get. And I don't think I realized he was writing a 4th book!!! Yayy!

    Lit Feline, I hope I get to my alternates, too! I just hope I get through more than 2! Ha!

    Nik, we can do better. I feeeeel it!

    Thanks, Ex Libris! I strove for variety or else I probably wouldn't get very far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! And, hey, great choices. I can't believe you've never read To Kill a Mockingbird, although I didn't read it till I was in my 20's, so who am I to speak, right? ;)

    I've been wanting to read Never Let Me Go for eons, but I still don't have a copy and my main 2008 goal is going to be, "Read off the stacks. Period."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!