Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Another semester under way...


I survived my first day of classes! And in fact, my classes are multiplying like bunnies. I taught at 8:00 and 10:00 yesterday, and around 11:30 my department head came into the office with a serious look on his face (never a good sign) and asked if I would take an additional class...at 12:00. While I panicked for a few minutes, wondered why I chose this damned profession, etc, there really isn't any down side to this situation as the class is a "college success" course that meets two days a week for only eight weeks. The teacher who originally had the course had everything planned to perfection and passed along her syllabus, schedule, icebreaker, assignments. In short, EVERYTHING. And the course is almost completely composed of guest speakers. So, no stress there really. The only hard part might be wrangling the 30 students in the class into behaving. We'll see.

Otherwise, all was well. There were few fires to put out, and I wore the cutest boots EVER. The balls of my feet are slightly numb now, but I have the day off today, so they should be ready for cute boots again on Thursday. (random) My office is shaping up, my classes are planned for the next five weeks (I tend to work in chunks), and my online class seems to be straightened out after a bout of technical glitches.

In other news, I'm already getting some reading in for the Short Story Challenge. Although, technically, what I'm reading now probably won't count. However, I'll probably post about one of my favorite short stories--the first short story my students are reading--"August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains," by Ray Bradbury. I'll be back with more details about this wonderful, classic short story after I re-read it today.
I'm also gonna try to finish Heart-Shaped Box. I read it pretty continuously (with breaks for meals, work, TV viewing, and talk with B.) from 4:00-9:30 last night. SO GOOD!

11 comments:

  1. Yay for cute books! (Random indeed *grin*)

    Glad your first day back went well.

    I think I will have to pick up this Heart Shaped Box for my birthday as well as 20th Century Ghosts!

    I think my favorite short story ever remains a tie between Alice Walker's "Everyday Use" and Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find." I'll have to look into Bradbury!

    Heather...who is too lazy to log out of Estella's account and log into her own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh, that should have been cute BOOTS. Geez.

    Heather...still lazy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely need Heart-Shaped Box. It's deliciously creepy so far. And I LOVE Everyday Use and A Good Man is Hard to Find. I'm thinking of using one or both of them in my lit class this semester. In fact, I think I'll post about the short stories I'm using in my next post about Bradbury. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might I suggest any short story from Kafka, Shirley Jackson (other than the lottery), and Maupassant (anything other than The Necklace). Oh, and anything from Stories of Eva Luna by Allende in your next short story challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, OtherFem, those folks are wonnnndermous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a sucker for cute shoes, too. I think my feet and I have finally come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to stop wearing them so they might as well shut up about it.

    Good luck with your busy schedule. It sounds rewarding albeit tough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear sweet work? What's that? I generally loathe my work, but what can you do?

    Glad things are shaping up for you though! The last minute class sounds scary! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nik, I've been bargaining with my feet, trying to lay the smack down, but they just don't listen! I wore ballet flats today. Still cute, but not nearly as dramatic as my spikey-heeled boots. :(

    Thanks, Cold! It was scary as hell, but luckily it turned out to be not a big deal. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a great start for the semester.

    I received an e-mail from the vice-chair who asked if some of us grad students could take on more sections so I'll be back on TAing this term.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it funny-- after years of being a student, you're adjusting to being a teacher, and after years of being a teacher, I'm adjusting to being a student. And we both seem to be good with that!

    I bought a pair of "engineer boots" (biker boots) about twenty years ago and I swear to god I become a different person in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't remember - have you read 20th Century Ghosts? I thought, as I was reading those stories (even though a few of them didn't do anything for me) that he's an awfully skilled writer and I expect great things from him in the future. Having said that, I also know enough about his writing to be suitably afraid of Heart-Shaped Box! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!