Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Saved by the Weather

No school tomorrow!!!! Well, no classes tomorrow. Apparently the heat all over campus will be off, so faculty are expected to bundle up and attend, but students are allowed to go home. I'm saved by the weather because I was supposed to have an observation tomorrow from my department head. Whahahaha! No idea when that'll take place now, but at least it's not tomorrow. I'm all about procrastination.

I'm exhausted and without inspiration, so I leave you with a favorite quote until tomorrow:

I am afraid of writing, too, because when I write I am always moving toward the unarticulated, the dangerous, the place where the walls don't hold. I don't know what's there, but I'm pulled toward it. Is the wounded self the writing self? Is the writing self the answer to the wounded self? Perhaps that is more accurate. The wound is static, a given. The writing self is multiple and elastic, and it circles the wound. Over time, I have become more aware of the fact that I must try not to cover that speecheless, hurt core, that I must fight my dread of the mess and violence that are also there. I have to write the fear. The writing self is restless and searching, and it listens for voices. Where do they come from, these chatterers who talk to me before I fall asleep? My characters. I am making them and not making them, like people in my dreams. They discuss, fight, laugh, yell, and weep. I was very young when I first heard the story of the exorcism Jesus performs on a possessed man. When Jesus talks to the demon inside the man and asks for his name, the words he cries out both scared and thrilled me. The demon says, "My name is Legion." That is my name, too.

From A Plea for Eros: Essays, by Siri Hustvedt

I've posted this passage before, but I haven't read over it in a long time and thought about it today.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Yay for no school. I wish I could get out of work because of the weather, I really do sometimes. Unfortunately I live really close to my work, so I don't even have the excuse of bad traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it like being given back the double the time you had intended to commit to work? I just love that feeling of expansive freedom. And you remind me that I must get on to A Plea for Eros, which is sitting very temptingly on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had an excuse to not go today. Can I borrow yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Kim! My mom has that problem, too. She lives not even a mile from work, so even icy days aren't terribly intimidating for her.

    Litlove, it is! And to top it all off, I don't teach on MOnday or Friday (tutor in the writing center those days), so I REALLY have a lot of freedom for a few days. And an opportunity to plan something even more fabulous for my evaluator to watch.

    Enjoy A Plea for Eros! I think you'll adore it.

    Donna, sure! I'm more than willing to share the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I didn't have to work today. I have birthday goodies to look at!!

    That's a wonderful pasage. And you've reminded ME that I need to read Siri Hustvedt. Must try to mooch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kathrin! I was tagged for that one a few months ago. Sorry! I wish I had something else to add, but I'm fresh out of blogging tips.

    Heatheroo, I think you'd love Siri. She's wonderfully atmospheric. What I Loved is the best book ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember you writing about Siri's work before and while I admit to thinking 'wow, that's a long quote', after reading it, I'll say 'that's a wonderful quote'. Pretty awesome and hey, no school tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!