Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Behind the Revenge

"I'm asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington...I'm asking you to believe in yours." --Barack Obama



Admittedly, I've turned away from writing about my personal life in this blog in the last few months. With an increasing focus on books I've ranted and raved far less, shared less about myself, but I feel this is probably one of the most important times to share about myself.

Today is Super Tuesday, and my skin practically tingles with excitement. While NC and TX haven't yet had their primaries, 24 other states will help decide who takes the Presidential nomination for the Democrats and the Republicans. Today is one of the biggest hurdles in the path to change in this country.

I'm not exagerrating when I tell you that I've been interested in politics since childhood. I remember reading pieces about the respective candidates for the 1988 presidential election--George H.W. Bush and Michael Dukakis--in my Weekly Reader newspapers as an 8-year-old in a rural Texas school. I became interested in their campaigns, and while I'm sure my mom thought I was crazy, I watched debates, asked a lot of questions, and generally worried my teachers with my interest in political debate.

As the years crept by, every election brought a rush of interest and passion for me. I was tickled when I was finally able to vote in 2000, only to have my candidate of choice lose despite his winning the popular vote.

As a young, outspoken liberal I've been accused time and again of irreverence and of scoffing at tradition. However, I assure you, it is with the utmost respect for the United States, its leadership, its citizens, and the democratic process that I post today. It's with this reverence in mind that I've grown increasingly dissatisfied with the Bush administration for its willingness to lay waste to the Bill of Rights--the very freedoms Americans hold dear.

Inside this outspoken liberal is that little girl that marveled at the framework of our government and the power of every citizen to speak and make a difference in how our country functions. That 8-year-old has been waiting for a visionary to inspire her, and I see an intelligent, enigmatic, inspirational leader in Barack Obama.

My own endorsement out of the way, the important plea here is to please take a minute today, on Super Tuesday, or whenever your presidential primary might be, to walk out of your house with the future in mind. Remember, you can speak, and for that we should all be thankful. Don't toss off the responsibility by saying, "My vote doesn't make a difference." Because when a country of free citizens shirks off the responsibility to shape the future, the future goes to hell and we're all left behind.

8 comments:

  1. I awoke this 'super Tuesday' to lighting and roaring thunder...wonder if that is an omen or something? ;)

    I'm not a big fan of politics, but I do believe it is important to vote. Politics is probably my least favorite thing to discuss with folks, but I will certainly break that habit to encourage people to exercise this amazing freedom that they have. Regardless of which 'side' one is on it is important to have this voice and to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! I have also been in love with politics for a long time. Obama has given me an excitement that I have never felt before, and I've been voting for many years. I'm meeting friends for drinks after work, but my eyes will be glued to the tv as the results come in. They are predicting that late primaries, especially in Texas, will make a big difference this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could be, Carl! LOL And amen to the importance of voting. Now if I could just get my students to see it.

    Purl, same here! I can't wait to hear some results. I've been fluttering around CNN.com all day long. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great video and post. I kept hearing about the vid but hadn't seen it (been hunkered down reading books) so I'm glad you posted it. Si Se Puede! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I thought of you today when I was posting....and now I see why. I have the same video...and the same plea. Get out and vote. Let your voice be heard!!!

    Man...I KNEW there was a reason I liked you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Si se puede, Iliana! :)

    LOL, right on, Steph!! Yes we can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and I love the new look of your site. Am I really that far behind?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never, ever felt so excited and inspired to be involved in this year's election. As you know, I attend the Obama rally in Omaha on Thursday night and saw Michelle speak at the Lied Center in Lincoln on Friday afternoon. We caucused last night and it was absolutely thrilling to be with my neighbors, discussing the merits of both candidates - all enthusiastic to make a difference. I have never attended a rally, voted in a caucus or donated money to a campaign. Until this month.

    I am thankful to be a part of this historic event and to have a voice in the outcome.

    BTW, I love that Dipdive video!

    Yes We Can!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!