Monday, February 04, 2008

Cannot Keep My Mouth Shut About This



FBI officials this week are expected to announce a $1 billion contract for the creation of a massive database of people's characteristics -- from eye patterns to palm prints. The agency says it's needed to track terrorists and other criminals.

But it's an issue that raises major privacy concerns -- what one civil liberties expert says should concern all Americans.

Andi says: I'm with the ACLU...

"It's the beginning of the surveillance society where you can be tracked anywhere, any time and all your movements, and eventually all your activities will be tracked and noted and correlated," said Barry Steinhardt, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Technology and Liberty Project.

I hope everyone keeps obtrusive measures like this one in mind when they go out to vote. Pick a candidate you believe would not support such measures.

8 comments:

  1. I'm with U and the ACLU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I've been thinking of joining, and I'm thinkin' this just might be my tipping point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I told ya. First it starts with the local and state F*****S and then even bigger F*****S muscle in on your life and liberties, and it is all under the guise of national security. But what some people may not know is that the money to fund this stuff goes to private security entities and not just military. I don't have a problem with funding the security company called the United States armed forces and any government sanctioned organization. I do have a problem when public funds go into private companies and they get rich when our boys can't even get decent veteran's services when they come home. Well, I better not get started. But you are right, we should not keep our mouths shut about this. Remember that movie I think made in the 70s called Network? It is the movie where everywhere starts yelling they are mad as hell and they are not going to take it anymore. Maybe we all need to take that on as our new mantra and start yelling we are mad as hell and we are not going to take it anymore. Down with tyranny! Whoohoo are we back in the 60s and 70s? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next thing you know, they'll have those creepy, crawly spider bugs that they used in Minority Report. Ick!!!!

    4 days 'til the Obama rally!!!! I hope he can come here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on, Fem! I'll bring the picket signs!

    Eeeww, Les, you're freakin' me out with the spider suggestion. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philip K. Dick anyone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, nicely put, Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big Brother is not so far off. This stuff is just disturbing.

    My grandfather was a big radical back in the 60s and after the Freedom of Information Act, we found out that he had been spied on by the CIA. Its scary to think how many people that its already happening to. I always suspect that whatever news we're getting about being spied on is outdated, and the government is probably already implementing it without bothering to tell anyone. Asking forgiveness rather than permission, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!