Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm reading...really!

I've become a really horrible blogger the last week or so...not answering comments properly, not blog hopping as much as usual, not posting much of anything except doting puppy pics.

Life goes on in the wake of puppy adoption, I daresay. Although, admittedly, it takes a different turn. I taught all day yesterday, got home, had to take DaisyLou to the vet for a possible bladder infection. Got home took her for a walk, finally settled down, she didn't settle down. We played. B and I watched our prescribed Tuesday night TV: Two and a Half Men, NCIS, and Nip/Tuck. I had big plans for reading but a sinus headache (still hanging on this morning) put me to bed early.

I miss a steadier stream of reading, but between teaching/planning/grading/puppiness/writing and general life stuff, it's taken a back seat. However, that doesn't mean I can't lust after books in the interim.

Dr. S. e-mailed to tell me about a book I need to read. A Person of Interest, by Susan Choi, is getting a good bit of press. Right after she told me about it, I saw a review in the NYTimes. I've never even heard of Choi (although I should be shamed for saying so since she was a finalist for a 2004 Pulitzer). OH well. I can't keep up with everyone. A blurb:

When a mail bomb explodes in the campus office next door, Lee, an Asian American math professor at a second-tier university in the Midwest, comes under suspicion. The authorities believe he may be the infamous "brain bomber," an elusive terrorist whose primary targets are prominent scientists and mathematicians.


I recently requested a review book for BibilioBuffet called Just Call Me Mike: A Journey from Actor to Activist, by Mike Farrell. Farrell is best known for his role as BJ Honeycutt on MASH. B. is a huge MASH fan and he's dragged me down with him, so I'm looking forward to this account of Farrell's international activism. Incidentally, he'll be book touring through Raleigh in May, so that might be a nice little outing for us.
And proof that I've been reading SOMETHING, you'll notice a couple of books listed in my sidebar under 2008 Reading that I haven't reviewed. I have upcoming reviews at BiblioBuffet of The End of America (goes live Feb. 24th) and You Must Be This Happy to Enter (probably a week or two after Feb. 24th).

I'll just tell you, I LOVED The End of America, while You Must Be This Happy to Enter won't garner such a positive review, I fear.

I'm also finally getting somewhere with The Bluest Eye. I read a decent chunk of it at work yesterday, and I adore Morrison's writing. The story of Pecola Breedlove is anything but pleasant, but I think this one will probably rank very well if it continues at this rate.

Until later!

10 comments:

  1. I have not read that biography, but I was at a conference last summer, and Mike Ferrell was the keynote speaker. He's an excellent public speaker, and I enjoyed hearing what he had to say. He seemed very genuine about helping people out, not the way a lot of celebrities are with their charitable causes just to look good.

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J haven't come across Choi either, but I have to get a copy of that. As an Arts Faculty Fellow I have to have sympathy with anyone who's blowing up Scientists and Mathematicians :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puppyhood takes up a lot of time and energy...we're on month 7 and it's still not ending. Different, a little easier, but no end in sight. Hang in there. Life just throws you curve balls now and then. I'm sure you'll get back in the swing of reading soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in a reading lag lately, too. Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it must be in the water. I haven't been able to read as much or blog as much over the last week or so, either. I've also been suffering from the dreaded sinus headache which lasted for about three days for me over the weekend. I was beginning to think I was going to have to go to the doctor. But, it finally went away. I'm glad you're liking the Bluest Eye. I really enjoyed it. I've recently seen several blurbs about the Choi book. I think it's going to make its rounds on the blog circuit over the next little while. Hope you feel better and get a break soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been a die-hard Morrison fan since I was 17 - read "Song of Solomon."

    (Have I already told you this? Oh well, telling you again.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking about the M*A*S*H cast, the other day. I have no idea why. That sounds like fun reading. I love reading about people helping people. And, A Person of Interest also sounds like one to note. What is Bibio Buffet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, scratch that last question. I remember going to Biblio Buffet to read something you wrote, not long ago. I just looked it up and the format was familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I'm glad to hear he's a good speaker. All the more reason to go see him on book tour!

    Ann, LOL! Dr. S and I were talking last night about the tendency for academic novels to focus on English or Classics teachers. This one is wonderfully different, she says, in its focus on the other varieties of faculty member. :)

    Thanks, Funky! You're my doggy pep talker. I need ya girl!

    Nik, heck if I know! I think I'm living in some vortex that sucks it right away.

    Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that you're not reading, but in a way it's nice to know I'm in the same boat with someone else. Glad to hear your sinus headache went away. They're the worst, aren't they?

    April, I don't think you have, actually. Glad to hear it! If I like this one I'm sure I'll try Solomon next.

    Nancy, odd indeed! They were a fun cast. Klinger's my favorite. :) I like reading about the helpful people, too. Can't wait to get hold of it. I'll keep ya posted!
    And BiblioBuffet is full o'goodness. It updates every Sunday evening/Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read the Choi book too - There's something about that cover that really appeals to me. Hope the sinus headache is all gone. yuck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!