Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pure Silliness

Check out THIS SITE.

Type in commands like "sit," "shake hands," and "roll over."

Be sure to type in some nonsense commands, too. The results are pretty funny. Oh, and "kiss" is the best command ever!

State of the Union: Sitting in the Writing Center, a packed house of appointments in and out for the afternoon, and I'm eyeing two books.
  • Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut, because I've NEVER READ Vonnegut, and that's a tragedy in itself.
  • The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath. I read this one several years ago, and I think it's high time for a re-read.

I think I've lost interest in The Namesake. No fault of the book's, just my finicky mood.

Edit: And I just saw this on CNN in an article about shark attacks (they're far less prevalent than the media makes out, etc.).

"The New England Journal of Medicine reported that from 1990 to 2006, there were 16 deaths on American beaches caused by digging sandholes till the sand collapsed, smothering the digger. ISAF counted a dozen U.S. shark deaths in the same period. Clearly, you’d be safer in the water, with the sharks, than you are in your own sandhole."

Something about science snarkiness makes me giggle. I think I'd still opt for the sandhole.

10 comments:

  1. "That command is beyond my abilities." Love that dog's vocabulary. Kiss was the cutest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, Chris! Got that from my mom. She's a bigger dog nut than I am! Imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try this one.

    http://www.linein.org/media/screen_clean.swf

    It's cute too!

    I'm a cat person though. Dogs smell. LOl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute website! No dead dog, though.

    Who'd have thought I needed to be more worried about a sandhole? Why isn't the media all over that one? Instead of Jaws, we should have Sandholes of Death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that doggy website!!! Thanks for today's grins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a Vonnegut virgin, too, until two years ago when I read Slaughterhouse Five. I kicked myself for waiting so long when I realized how fantastic he was.

    I'm re-reading The Bell Jar, too, for my MA Exam. Sylvia's an odd bird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vonnegut is always a good choice and his stuff is a fast read. Not that he is not deep or any good, it's just he is funny and has a way with words. His humor allows the text to flow and the next thing you know you are ready to read another one of his books. I read three of his books on a bus trip to Minnesota, one sitting at a bookstore, and one at home, all in one week. This is a great feat for me since I am kind of a slow reader. BTW, Cat's Cradle is good. I have to say that my all time favorite is from Kurt is Slaughterhouse Five. If you like Vonnegut, try reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (he and Vonnegut lived on the same street). I loved the book--talk about snark! It is snark galore! Good Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't love The Namesake either. I don't think it's that well written. Read The Hungry Tide if you want something fabulous from this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To think, I've always stayed out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cat's Cradle sounds very good. The book club almost picked this one but at the ended went for The Slaughterhouse Five.

    I love the idodogtricks site!!!! It's sooooo cute and funny. I tried "jump"--and the puppy went up to the couch and jumped!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!