Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fables: Wolves (vol. 8)


And the graphic novel kick continues. There's nothing quite like knocking off a whole book in an evening when still recovering from a reading slump. I just can't deal with big novels exclusively right now, so finishing up (my) available Fables graphic novels has been just the ticket. I still have a B&N gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so I suspect I might have to order Sons of Empire before the day is up.
In Wolves, Mowgli of Jungle Book fame goes looking for the exiled Bigby Wolf. Upon finding him, Bigby must complete a covert mission for the Fabletown higher-ups before returning to his beloved Snow White and their cubs.
This is a long-awaited issue, as those who are currently into the series up to the Storybook Love volume will already know. I'll be cryptic and closed-mouthed, but this volume certainly lived up to expectations with lots of "ooh ahh" moments and just the right amount of mush.
I've already wooed over this series this week, so I'll save you from my usual gushing, but I really do recommend any and all comics fans, fairy tale fans, or adventurous readers unused to either genre to give this series a go. It's so very smart and funny and clever and wondermous.
Ok, so I gushed a little. It really couldn't be helped.
This is a book that satisfies requirements I set forth for myself for the Graphic Novels Challenge and Once Upon a Time II.
Currently reading: Cat's Eye, by Margaret Atwood - I'm back to it and enjoying it.
Thinking of reading: another graphic novel. Maybe Mark Kalesniko's book, Mail Order Bride.

8 comments:

  1. This one sounds great. I can't wait to catch up. I have really got into graphic novels this year and am giving manga a go too. It's lovely like you say to finish a book in a sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these books, but you do make them sound tempting. You know I'm still a novice at this whole fairy tale, myth, graphic novel thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very much looking forward to those "oooh ahh" moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm way behind in my blog reading -- wanted to give you a thumbs-up on your website redesign. Cooool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like such a great read! I want to read some graphic novels, so I will just write that one down on my list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wondermous, good word. I must steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhinoa, I'm discovered that I'm not talented enough to read manga! I tried it in graduate school, and while it was really interesting, the right-to-left thing kills me. It is a nice contrast to look at manga vs. western comics and notice the extreme movement and freedom of manga. Fascinating stuff.

    Lisa, stick around and you'll hear much more! Now that I'm over my post-graduate-school aversion to fairy tales, I'll be reading plenty more. :)

    Nymeth, they're soo goood.

    Thanks, LK! Good to see you.

    Enjoy, Kim! The first in the series is called Fables: Legends in Exile. I'd recommend starting there because it lays the groundwork for all of the other books.

    Feel free, Stu. I love making up words. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Cat's Eye, it's my second favorite of Margaret Atwood's after The Robber Bride. Perhaps school girls weren't mean to you as she describes in that book, but I could certainly relate to some of their tricks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!