Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Girl Named Zippy


Yet another book that I'm certain I'm the last person on earth to read. You might remember, I said the same thing about David Sedaris. I started Haven Kimmel's memoir of a childhood in Mooreland, Indiana a couple of months ago. I had every intention of traveling to Wilmington, NC (just down the Interstate a piece) to see her speak at the University of North Carolina's campus there, but with teaching and other grown-up responsibilities (boo!) I couldn't go. Alas, I put the book aside to attend to some obligation or other, and I just came back to it in the wake of my slump.

It's hard for me not to compare David Sedaris and Haven Kimmel.

1. They're both really funny.
2. They're both from NC (Sedaris grew up in Raleigh, Kimmel currently resides next door, in Durham)
3. They're both really funny.

In all seriousness, I adored Kimmel's memoir for her ability--like Sedaris--to tap into the humorous, the touching, and the tragic that seems to accompany childhood. One such example came to light in the essay, "The Social Gospel." Little Haven, aka Zippy, finds herself enamored of a girl named Sissy Bellings that comes from a family of 15 and lives in a two-room house. Zippy, despite her Quaker upbringing, does not believe in God, but she begins to talk religion with the devout Sissy in a thinly veiled attempt to get into the house so she can see the workings of the 15-person Billings family firsthand. Along the way she chases opportunities for good works in an attempt to win Sissy's trust and admiration but finds her attempts foiled at every turn. In the end, she finds an unlikely opportunity to do a good deed when a close friend of hers confesses the ill intent of their band teacher during "private lessons." As a result--even though she's unsure whether or not the teacher has caused her friend harm or what harm he might be able to inflict--she refuses to allow her friend to be left alone with the teacher. It's a moment of clarity and insight for an otherwise mischievous and troublesome child.

On the humorous side, the opening lines of "Interior Design" present a great example of Kimmel's humor:

"Decoupage hit Mooreland pretty hard, as did antiquing, and hand painting one's own ceramics. My dad was especially good at decoupage, and made a number of very beautiful things to hang around the house. My personal favorite was the Bill of Rights, which he burned around the edges and affixed to a large flat piece of cherrywood. He screwed a ring into the top and it hung on the wall in the living room. I used to stand and study it. It survived until one afternoon when Dad was trying to repair the wiring in an outlet below it. At that time, we had a cat named Abednego who performed no end of evil tasks, and as Dad knelt there, Abednego went scampering right up Dad's back, using, of course, his claws. Dad raised up in alarm and hit the Bill of Rights, causing it to fall squarely on the back of his head, and before I knew what had happened, Dad had grabbed the plaque and slung it in fury across the room. He missed the cat, but hit the window seat, and the wood cracked in half. Abednego was nowhere to be seen--he was in pursuit of other happinesses, no doubt--so I picked up the wood and tried to fix it, but it was beyond repair."

She goes on to detail the keen ability of her acquaintances at hooked rugs, ceramics painting, and myriad of other crafts that threw me immediately into flashbacks to my own childhood. Scary stuff.

If you're in the mood for a laugh, a nicely written essay, and a quick read, definitely give A Girl Named Zippy a go.

16 comments:

  1. I heard that she does readings at the Regulator in downtown Durham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that she does readings at the Regulator in downtown Durham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good laugh. I might have to pick these up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it helps at all, I, too, have not read "Zippy." Thanks for your blog. I've been seeing your name around other blogs - mostly because it's my name, too. And I'm delighted to have found yours. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds awesome. I love the funny. Need to read more of that as opposed to the sad and depressing. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, thanks for the tip, beastmomma!

    I think you'd looove it, Nik.

    LOL, nice to see you, too, Andi!! Weird, but very cool! Let's freak some people out, shall we?

    Funkster, it's right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this one yet, so you aren't the last one. :-) It sounds like a fun book to read. I could probably use funny about now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read it! Sounds good, though. BTW, I love the new blog look...I've been out of the loop for a couple weeks, so it might not be super-new anymore, but just thought I'd let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, love the new header! Second, I had this book in my hand last night at Borders, but since I am trying to stick to my book diet, I didn't buy it (although I was mighty tempted)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can mightily recommend Ms. Kimmel's novel, The Solace of Leaving Early. I didn't love Zippy because I was so angry throughout the thing that I hadn't written it! ;-) As an Indiana girl from close to her era, I can attest that her stories (in Zippy) are too true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a funny book! I haven't read her others (fiction and non), but I'd like to re-read this someday.

    Ah, hooked rugs. Textile Arts class. I remember countless nights spent in front of the tv (watching M*A*S*H, as I recall) working on a single rug the entire semester. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that passage cracked me up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LF, it's very funny and endearing.

    Welcome back, Eva! Good to "see" you. The look is very new, so you're not too out of the loop. :)

    Thanks, Stephanie! There's actually more to it, but Blogger's picky about the size of the header with this particular template. I had to crop it down, which I hated to do. When you get away from your book diet, definitely pick up Zippy!

    Tasses, I'm not from Indiana, but I certainly know what you mean. I wanna write something this fantastic. Thanks for the rec re: The Solace of Leaving Early.

    LOL, Les! I tried a couple of hooked rugs, but I don't think I ever made it past maybe a 1/3 of the work.

    No problem, Kim! Glad you enjoyed. There are many more funnier than that, but sadly I didn't mark 'em. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Penthouse (2010)
    [img]http://img.sharedpartners.com/images/movie/Penthouse_1271143563_video.jpg[/img]
    Genres: Comedy
    Directors: Chris Levitus
    Actors: Kurupt , Corey Large , Rider Strong
    Country: USA
    Duration:
    Three lifelong friends inhabiting a penthouse apartment find themselves at odds when one of them attempts to move in with his girlfriend and another's little sister makes a surprise visit.
    [code]http://bit.ly/ThePenthouse[/code]
    http://bit.ly/ThePenthouse

    ReplyDelete
  15. [b]King Of Pirate Online[/b]

    King Of Pirate is a fully 3D-designed multiplayer online game based on 5,000 years of pirate history.

    In it, comical pirate characters and creatures travel the high seas and encounter intricate story-based quests,

    wondrous cities and beautiful landscapes in their search for treasures fit for a king – or a king's ransom!

    Though the excitement of ship-to-ship combat is a heady brew for newcomers and veterans alike,

    many players take pride in their place among the community. Whether you seek to enforce the laws of the KoP world,

    http://www.KingOfPirate.com





    Tales of pirates private server
    pirate king online private server
    top/pko private server
    private server
    igg top
    igg

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ive been offered a hand me down, but would rather get a modern one, has anyone got experience of one of these:

    http://www.spymac.com/details/?2463622

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!