Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Recipes, finally!

I know, it took me long enough, eh? First, the frittatta recipe that I showed you a pic of below (I know, I first said quiche. I don't know the difference):

Low Fat Frittatta

1 package (12 oz) of turkey bacon, heated and chopped
6 ounces of uncooked angel hair pasta
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion sliced or diced
1 red bell pepper, sliced or diced
8 eggs (or you could use the egg substitute)
1 container (5 oz) of fat free ricotta cheese
1 cup of shredded, fat-free mozzarella cheese
1 cup of shredded, reduced fat Swiss cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and squeeze drained

Cook and drain pasta. Heat oil in a large skillet and cook onion and pepper over medium heat until tender. Combine egg, cheeses, salt, pepper, and cooked pasta. Add veggies, spinach, and bacon. Spray 10-inch quiche dish (or I used a 9" round pie pan) with nonstick cooking spray; pour mixture into dish. Bake in preheated oven at 350-degrees for 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa. Serves 8.

Andi says: I used ham! I found the dish a bit on the bland side the way it's written, so the next time I cook this recipe I might add a little hot pepper sauce to the eggs, use cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella, or I might use sausage. Sure, I'll blow the "low fat" part out the window, but who cares. I need flavor!

Dirt Cake:

1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese
1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar
1 (3.5 oz) package of instant vanilla pudding
1 (3.5 oz) package of instant chocolate pudding
3 1/2 cups of milk
1 (12 oz) container of whipped topping, thawed
32 oz of Oreo cookies

Chop cookies into a fine powder with a food processor (or if you're me, a big freezer bag and the back of a skillet). Mix cream cheese and sugar in a bowl. In a separate large bowl, mix pudding, milk, and whipped topping together. Combine pudding mixture and the creamed mixture. Layer in a flower pot (lined with plastic wrap) beginning with cookies and ending with cookies on top. Chill until serving time. Add artificial flowers, a trowel, and gummy worms if desired.

I also did this one for Halloween when I was younger, and we made it in a 9x13 pan with candy pumpkins, whipped cream ghosts, and little headstones on top. So cute!

4 comments:

  1. Dirt Cake Rocks! The kids like it with Gummy Worms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'em with gummies, too! I didn't think B's parents would appreciate them too much, so I left them out this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is egg substitute anything like actual eggs? I am allergic to eggs *tear* and miss them dreadfully, and am willing to stoop to the level of substitute stuff if it resembles the real thing at all. I've also heard tofu works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That frittatta sounds (and looks) really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!