Thursday, March 13, 2008

Short Story Time! (And Booking Through Thursday)

I promised to provide links in my previous post on "A Rose for Emily," but I forgot! I'm also including the link for one of my other short story favorites, "August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains." Ray Bradbury is a god.

"A Rose for Emily"
"August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains"

Watch for more of my favorite short story recommendations coming up!

Very little time to blog today. I had to teach a couple of classes this morning, put together my display for Open House tomorrow, and I've had a full schedule of consultations in the writing center this afternoon. I plan to play with Daisy and play SIMS 2 when I get home. If I'm really lucky there might be a nap in the cards. Tomorrow's another early day, and I can't wait for this week to be OVER.

The greatest news: SPRING BREAK is right around the corner! We're out from Good Friday (21st) through the 29th, so I expect I'll do lots of reading, maybe have some meals with friends, and generally be lazy.

For now I'm off and running. Might be back with some lit-chat and blog hopping tonight.

Edit: And while I'm at it, why not Book Through Thursday?

This week's question:
__________ would have been a much better book if ______________________

Andi's answer:
Moby Dick would have been a much better book if Herman Melville hadn't written it!

I loathe and despise Melville with every fiber of my being. Loathe. Really.

16 comments:

  1. I take it this means that you wouldn't recommend I add this to my TBR pile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must have been the third time I read about your nailing of Moby Dick! :) I couldn't get through it either.

    Hooray to Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My finely tuned senses are detecting that you might not like Melville much. Call it a hunch.

    Ah, time off. Plenty of spare time... for doing the dozens of things that have no doubt been building up while you've been working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED the Bradbury story. Thanks so much for the link!

    and lol about Moby Dick :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second this (your Booking Through Thursday response)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pierre is the most painful memory of my book-life. I agree about Melville. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heehee I haven't attempted this book. My Year of Reading Dangerously has given me enough challenging books to read without adding to the list.

    Oh I wish so badly sometimes I worked at a college. My husband got a fricking week and a half of paid vacation last Christmas. I... worked. yeah. At least I have a few paid holidays now at my new job, thank god.

    And I really love The Martian Chronicles but I haven't read any more Bradbury than that I think! I really need to read more Bradbury!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I teach that Bradbury story in my freshman English class. They always totally love it, although not as much as they totally love Lamb tot eh Slaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for those short story links. I always feel a bit lost when it comes to short stories so I'll have to take a look at those.
    Hurray that your spring break is here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish they gave us spring break in the corporate world...not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Bradbury also; this story in particular, as well as his "All summer in a day".

    And I'm looking forward to the END of March break - here in the public library it gets very busy during that week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "A Rose for Emily" is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is too short, and Moby Dick WAAAAAAAAY too long. read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nope, skip it, Ann! lol

    Matt, I'm just glad others dislike it as much as I. :)

    Me too, Nik! Bring it on!

    Amen, Stu! I have plenty of house cleaning to do in my down time.

    I knew you'd love it, Nymeth! Yay!

    Right on, Les!

    I try, Chris. ;)

    LOL, Katie!

    Kim, Bradbury is great! You should definitely give Fahrenheit 451 a try. It's one of my very favorite books everr! I also enjoyed Bradbury's novel, From the Dust Returned.

    Hmmm, I'll have to try Lamb tot eh Slaughter, Lu!

    Enjoy, Iliana!

    LOL, Funky!

    I haven't read that story, Melanie. I'll have to go look it up. :) And, yes, I remember how crazy the library was during spring break. I worked in our city library one year, and it was nutty.

    Woohoo, April!

    Amen to that, Orpheus!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!