Thursday, March 20, 2008

What Do I Know?


I am weak!!! I know that.

I vowed not to join any more challenges for the year, but I forgot about one that is impossible to ignore. It's the second year for Carl's Once Upon a Time Challenge, and I'm SO READY.

As with the RIP Challenge, Carl offers several "plans" for completing the challenge. This one's focus is fantasy, folklore, fairy tales, and mythology. Right up my alley, I know. I thought the same thing!

I've chosen the most relaxed of the options, and I'll be embarking upon "Quest the First:"

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

While I would love to embark upon a challenge with the promise to read one book in each category, I prefer the flexibility to read all fairy tale-oriented literature if I want to. See, I have a boatload of retellings and fairy tale interpretations on my stacks--one of which I'm reading now, The Bloody Chamber. Therefore, I reserve the right to gorge on fairy tales if I wanna.

Some books that spring immediately to mind from my stacks:

the rest of the Fables series, by Bill Willingham
Bluebeard's Egg and Other Stories, by Margaret Atwood
Grimm's Last Fairytale, by Haydn Middleton (languishing unread on my shelf for nearabout the 10th year)
Not to mention...
The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly
Transformations, by Anne Sexton
Little Black Book of Short Stories, by A.S. Byatt
...and a host of others that fall into categories fantastical, science fictional, fairy taleish, and mythological.
Join us, won't you?
Watch for my reviews! Coming soon!

19 comments:

  1. Oh I am so IN! I love Carl's challenges. I'm hoping it will break my slump.

    I wish you would finish Fables!! And I think you'll love The Book of Lost Things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to join this too but I PROMISED myself that I wouldn't join anymore challenges for 2008. Oh the pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heatheroo, I will finish Fables! In fact, I debated whether to read The Bloody Chamber first or Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days). Nights and Days is next!!! I can't wait. Reading 1001 Nights of Snowfall recently got me in the mood.

    Heather, give in!!! Be weak like the rest of us!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book of Lost Things is on my list too (which I will post tomorrow)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In what sense is this a challenge for you? You'd be doing it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one yummy list. I have been meaning to read Transformations for years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. Yes. No. Yes. I can't. Really. I have two other challenges that have gone completely ignored since Jan. 1st. As tempting as this is, I've learned that while I love to make those lists and piles of books, I'm too much of a mood reader. However, I'll watch for your reviews and most likely will add more titles to my TBR list. Have fun, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie, I can't wait to see your list! I'm sure you'll mention all kinds of stuff I totally forgot about.

    LOL, Stu. But I wouldn't get it done on a deadline. Therein lies the challenge!

    Nymeth, if and when you get around to it, you will LOVE IT. It's delicious.

    Thanks, Les! I may never finish all my challenges, but I sure don't feel guilty. I looove lists and the whole tantalizing my bookish tastebuds aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about not joining any challenge -- except this one. I had the booklist ready since last year, so, I HAD TO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, you're in!!! Glad to have you! I look forward to your reviews. I myself need to get caught up on my Fables reading and the challenge just might be the time to do it! :)

    Les, don't feel bad. That is why I put the one book options in the challenges that I do because I'm a whim reader too. That way folks can participate and be a part of the community and not have the challenge dominate their reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orpheus, wow, you are prepared! Enjoy the challenge!

    Thanks for hosting it, Carl! You always do such wooonderful challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I like the sound of all of your books! So I'll be eagerly awaiting your reviews.
    I joined in the challenge too and guess which book I added to my list? The Stolen Child... I remember you loved that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you can be excused for being weak, in this case. Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the only one i've read on your list is the Book of Lost Things.. and it's a good one!!

    (I haven't heard of Carl throwing anyone in his dungeons or flogging them if they don't finish the challenge! heh..)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, you mentioned two of my favorite authors: A.S. Byatt and Margaret Atwood. I look forward to your reviews, and discussing Til We Have Faces as I mentioned in response to your comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Iliana, I'm SO glad you're going to try The Stolen Child. I think you'll really like it. It took me a bit to get into the flow of it, but once I did, it was fascinating!

    Thanks, Nancy! I definitely don't think I'm alone on this one. We're all weak (and enablers, by turns).

    Thanks, Deslily! I've heard nothing but wonderful things about The Book of Lost Things. I'm looking forward to it.

    Thanks, Bellezza! Sadly, I can't say that I've read Byatt before, but I'm truly looking forward to the short stories. As for Atwood, I love her, but I do have to be in the right mood for her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Last year I read Angela Carter's Saints and Strangers and I have to say some of those stories have stayed with me vividly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a great list of books! I don't even know where to start...!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Danielle, I'll definitely add Saints and Strangers to my TBR. I have a feeling an Angela Carter binge is coming on.

    Thanks, Rhinoa!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!