Monday, April 28, 2008

Blog Horn, and I'm a Weekly Geek!

I'm home sick from work today, so what better to do than lounge in bed and blog? I have a lot of links to pass on this dreary Monday morning, so hold onto your hat!

Because I need another project (so much free time, you know), I would like to introduce you to the newest book reviewer for The Environmental Blog. Uh, yeah, me! Go check out this one stop shop for all things environmental.

This week's installment of "The Finicky Reader" might step on some toes. I'm putting my head down and ballsily taking on the label, "women's fiction" in "Book Snobbery: Taking Aim at Overused Genres One Snide Remark at a Time." Let me know if you have answers to the questions I've posed regarding genre conventions and marketing. Click HERE.

Dewey has invented a fantastic sort of community building blog challenge called Weekly Geeks. There's a theme every week, and this week's kickoff is Discover New Blogs. With that in mind, I found the following wonderfulfantastic new-to-me blogs from the list of Weekly Geek participants. Keep in mind, there are at least a gazillion more I'd love to gush about, but I realize you probably have a busy day ahead whilst I lie here in my laziness. Without further ado...

Random Field Notes - Right up my alley, Ashleigh is an Egyptologist, working on a PhD, and she reads! Her blog is just so freakin' cool, I can't wait to spend endless hours digging in and simultaneously procrastinating from any paper grading that I need to do.

Adventures in Reading - Another fantastic blog. I love the design, I love the content, and I want to ravage the blogroll and sundry sidebar links.

Naked Without Books - Bybee's is a name I've seen around the book blogs endlessly, and I have no idea how I haven't bookmarked her before now. She's fantastic, reads a wide variety of books, and she's the only other blogger around that I've seen mention The Borden Tragedy graphic novel that I read a while back.

Trish's Reading Nook - A fellow Texan! And even though I'm not one anymore, I still say loud and proud, Trish is a sister o'mine in her Texanhood! Her blog is just addictive and fantastic. Go see for yourself.

The Inside Cover - Rebecca Adler's blog is a fun mixture of thoughtful ruminations, book news, links, etc. I can't wait to explore more. And it looks so professionally swanky! I love it.

Thanks to Dewey for the wonderful idea for Weekly Geeks! There's tons o'fun on the horizon.

14 comments:

  1. First, I'm sick too. All weekend. Blah!

    Anyway, I can see what you're saying. Maybe women's fiction is marketed in Canada differently, but I think of Margaret Atwood and Carol Shields. But maybe that's feminist literature. I just read "Ask Again Later." I think of that as women's fiction. It's too serious to be chick lit and it's about a single woman in her 30's who quits her job to be with her sick mother. I don't just think of pecan pies when I think of women's fiction. Sometimes the imagine of a battered, put upon woman comes to mind though. It can be a bit whiny. I do think that fiction should just be fiction. Let's make a list of 'men's fiction'! Hemingway and Tom Clancy are on the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo thanks! I'm familiar with three of those blogs, but I'm off to check out the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you're ill! Surely reading will make you feel better. Thanks for the links--will check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read about Weekly Geeks here, and had so much fun looking at the blogs of everyone involved that I was powerless to resist signing up.

    So, thanks for the inspiration, and here's to geekery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being sick is no fun. At least you get the lounge in bed all day. I heart my bed and I have a feeling since you're a fellow pajama lover that you heart your bed, too. So it's not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you're feeling better soon. I haven't signed up for Dewey's challenge, but I really should. I love finding new book blogs to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better Andi! I love all the linky stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, funny you should mention Carol Shields and Atwood in the "women's fiction" category. I almost never hear them referred to that way, although I would definitely concur on Shields (from what I've read, anway). Agreed on the point about too serious for chick lit. As for men's fiction, I would add Hemingway as the big daddy of men's fiction. hehe

    Have fun, Lisamm!

    Thanks, Danielle. I slept a lot yesterday and feel somewhat better today. Still a grinding headache, but I don't think it will go away until 1) the semester is over 2) I find out a verdict on the job.

    Cheers to geekery, Mary! I'm glad I could enable. :)

    Nik, YAYYYY for beds and pjs! I love them both equally.

    Lisa, you would love it! It's oodles of fun.

    Thanks, Iliana! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must join up to this - I love exploring new blogs but don't seem to get enough time to do it. And hope you feel better soon, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What?? :) Today is my first visit to your blog even though I've seen you around (how silly sounding is that!). I need to do my weekly geeks, and I thought--what better place than this? Funny I should find my name here! What part of Texas you from??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Litlove! There are some great blogs to explore via the challenge. Definitely a perfect way to procrastinate. Of course I'm not speaking from personal experience (tongue firmly in cheek!).

    Welcome, Trish! It's good to see you popping by. I grew up about 40 miles northeast of Dallas. Between Rockwall and Greenville in a VERY small town. Very very very small. lol I hope you'll come back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I currently live in McKinney, which is right around the corner. Actually, last weekend we went to a crawfish boil in Royse City and took the backroads to get there, so it *might* be possible we were close to your town.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The way you explained your post here, I was expecting something much more snarky, but I totally agree with what you have to say. I never read women's fiction when I can avoid it. Once in a great while I enjoy a book, but they just drive me nuts with their conventions. I much prefer books with better developed characters and endings that aren't predictable. Anyhow, hope you feel better so you'll be ready to go for the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh why must being a woman be so confusing? Even the bookworld turns against you with its propaganda. It's true that the publishing world (always looking for its next penny as any industry is) has made a huge market for women writing certain kinds of books. These women want to get paid so they write what the publishing industry thinks it can sell (because of course it knows us all so well). So only certain kinds of female stories are shown and wallah (as a girl learning french in the midlands would say) a type of propaganda of what a womans life is or should be like is created.

    I love a bit of chicklit. Less so 'womens fiction' which I would class as more domestic, more family orientated like ooo say Anne Tyler. I usually think that type of book fails to reflect my life and is more about older generations. It does have to be very specific chicklit books that I will actually recommend. I suspect that one of the things I like best about the majority of chicklit is that it allows me to flex my feminist criticism msucles in a very subtle way rather than that this type of story is satisfying me.

    Also I'm totally in accordance with the current view that there are many male authors out there writing 'mens fiction' (Nick Hornby is the oft picked on one). It's just that men feel their experiences encompass the whole of the human world whereas womens expereinces are localised to their gender. Their work gets called literary, womens work is things like 'very evocative of the female experience'.

    I've ranted a bit now (oops).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!