Monday, May 05, 2008

Catching Up (As Always) and a Linky Roundup

Whew! Last week was nutty and busy, so I didn't have much of an opportunity to blog or read blogs. Luckily, I got quite a bit done over the weekend. I have 2.5 of my 5 classes graded, and since I'll be alone for a good bit of the day today, I hope to knock off a good bit more.

But enough about that. Links!

This week's BiblioBuffet column is a rumination on my huge "to be read" (TBR) stack.

To read about my first foray into vegetarian cooking, try this post from Unlikely Activist.

And last, but certainly not least, give the newest issue of Estella's Revenge a look. This month's theme is "travel."

For those of you who wondered, I did take Daisy to work with me on Wednesday!!! We had so much fun. First we stopped by the park down the street from the college and watched some kids play baseball. She was sensory overloaded by all the squawking and shouting children, but she had a fabulous time sniffing around once she got used to the noise. Campus was much quieter, so I took her out behind the building where we usually have class and let her chase some squirrels. My students loved her, and she loved them. By the time I got her home, she was totally pooped and she passed out on the couch early.

I need to go to Full-Time campus in G-vegas today to get some work done and drop in to a colleague's retirement party. Then I have to come home, gather up some grades, and go to K-vegas to Part-Time campus to drop off some more grades. We might load up our stuff and make another trip to the park.

I wish I had a picture of Miss Daisy at the moment. I have the computer in my lap, sort of off to the right side, and she's got her head on my knee on the left side. So cute. Just to remind you how cute....



I have no idea how she sleeps like this, but surprisingly she's been known to sleep in weirder, more painful looking positions. She's getting so big. Her new thing is to stand in the kitchen with her front paws up on the dining table and go fishing for bits of paper (receipts, grade sheets, essays, books). It's annoying, but she's so cute it doesn't matter much.

In minimal book news, I picked up The Omnivore's Dilemma last night!! I love it so far, even though I'm not far into it.

For now I'm off to enjoy a lazy morning until I need to leave for work. That's code for "read all the blogs I'm behind on!"

19 comments:

  1. Estella's Revenge is great, as usual! And your TBR article made my smile...just last night, I had to try to pick a new non-fic book to read from my shelves. I stared for a while, and finally grabbed six and read the first ten pages of each. That's usually how I pick my next random read (as opposed to challenge/review books)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're interested in the locavore movement, you should pick up Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It follows her family throughout the year as they grow their own food and eat locally & seasonally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how Daisy was doing. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyy for Daisy! She is so cute and she's getting so big. I'm glad to hear that you spoil her, just like we spoil our little Lucy! It's so hard not to

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've checked out Estella's Revenge and your column at BiblioBuffet, and I enjoyed them both. I can really relate to your column because I often find myself almost frozen trying to decide what to read next. I have been known to take four or five books to my husband and ask him to pick for me. He does. But he looks at me as if I were an alien, too. Bibliophiles -- we are a different breed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bits of paper off the table? And what would you do if one of your students came out with 'the dog ate my homework'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, the doggy pix are too adorable. That has to be the most photogenic pup in the history of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweetheart!

    Btw, a HUGE Mother’s Day Book Giveaway is currently happening on my blog. Hope you’ll stop by.

    http://abookbloggersdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow, look at Daisy. She's so big!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Eva! I'm horrible at the "read the first 10 pages" method. I'm admittedly a bad starter. It's hard to get me sucked in, so I can't trust my initial reactions most of the time.

    PS, I will definitely pick up Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

    Thanks, Nik! Daisy agrees. She's such a diva.

    No problem, Ann! She's as rotten-cute as ever.

    Funky, B claims he doesn't like her, yet he bought her a new kong and some spray goop to fill it up with yesterday. Good thing he doesn't like her. She'd really be spoiled if he did. lol I, on the other hand, bought her two puppy cookies (iced ones!) at the pet store today. A cannoli (sp?) and another pastry-shaped one.

    LOL, Lisa! I haven't made B pick for me yet, but that's not a bad idea. He's a totally uninterested party, so that could work!

    Stu, it hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did. Now that they've met her, I think they'd understand!

    LK, she's a ham. No doubt about it.

    Thanks for coming by, abookworm!

    Nancy, she's growing like a weed! I wish she'd stop already. We're going to have to buy her a new crate soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe how big Daisy is getting! What a cutie!!

    Loved this month's Estella's Revenge, as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked your article. I am not quite into the hundreds yet, but I sure feel the pressure to get my library books returned, and that certainly affects my reading.

    Your pictures are beyond cute as usual. I bet she was just like a celebrity when you brought her on campus:-)

    I'm saving Estella's Revenge for when I can sit and focus a larger percentage of my attention on it. I'm looking forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you could just slow down on producing good ideas, I'd be much further ahead . . . thanks for this post, the photos of that cute pup, and making me feel better about how much grading I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great column and one I can so relate to. It would probably take me 10 years to get through my current collection of unread books! Yikes!
    And Daisy is totally the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is so adorable! We call the standing up at the table and fishing for crap 'puppy shopping' at my house. Annoying but cute.

    You are busy, busy these days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cuteness!! Love me some Daisy!

    Great column, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so behind on everything so I know how you feel! Daisy is getting big... so cute though :)
    And, the new zine is great as always. I've been enjoying bits and pieces of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know how your brain sometimes jumps ahead of your reading? I was just reading your reply and finished "We're going to have to buy her a new crate soon" in a different way. My brain said, "We're going to have to buy her new clothes soon." Now, wouldn't that be something. But, her coat is so pretty! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!