Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday'ness

It's a lazy Saturday because I have absolutely no obligations. My columns are squared away, we've cashed in our loose change for extra vacation money, and I have a stack of books calling to me (and the stack is growing by the day).

I've been slowly but surely catching up on my blog reading, and I have to say, I've missed you all SO MUCH!!! If I wasn't so ready for a vacation I'd be really irked that I'll be another week behind on blogs soon.

As it is, I don't have much to report in the book department. I haven't totally settled back into my reading just yet, but I hope to remedy that in the next week or so. Here are a couple of books that have landed on my review pile recently:

I am certain that Why Animals Matter: The Case for Animal Protection will tear me up at some point. I make a point not to read about animal abuse or mistreatment, but when this one came through for The Environmental Blog I couldn't really say no. It will certainly be informative and it's something I feel I need to read, but it will be tough going.

A very short blurb from the publisher:

"Animal experts Williams (who works for the Humane Society) and DeMello (Stories Rabbits Tell) deliver an excellent look at cruelty to animals on an institutional level in various industries, taking a 'common sense perspective' and revealing many disturbing facts that could turn the most ardent meat eater into a hard-core vegetarian. Read more HERE.

I tend to turn a blind eye to the treatment of animals by the meat industry especially. However, because I do live in an area with lots of meat processing plants and whatnot now, it's right in my face. It's not unusual to see an overloaded hog truck headed off to slaughter or poorly treated chickens riding to their death. Hog houses, turkey houses, chicken houses...all standard stuff in this area. It's really quite affecting.

The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability looks like a dense read to say the least, but it sounds incredibly interesting.

From the publisher:

Author James Speth, contends that this situation is a severe indictment of the economic and political system we call modern capitalism. Our vital task is now to change the operating instructions for today’s destructive world economy before it is too late. The book is about how to do that.

I'll keep y'all posted on how these come along. I'm taking Why Animals Matter on vacation with me, so maybe it'll deter me from eating so much barbecue.

As for Daisy, I am sad to say that she will not be going with us on vacation. Our vet here in town is fantastic, and they have a really superlative boarding and play area, so she'll be their guest for the five days we're gone. I can only imagine how excited she'll be when we get back. Our laps will be full of puppy for a week. I've already started planning her list of things to pack (her pink blanket, stuffed rat, kong chew toy, and Science Diet Small Bites puppy food.

This week was one of milestones for our pup. I noticed on Tuesday night, when she was chewing on a rawhide chip, there was blood on the chew. I took a look, and sure enough, she was bleeding around one of her loose molars. Well, totally unlike me when I was a pup, she wanted that tooth OUT of there. She chewed as hard as she could (all the while my butt was puckering watching her), and the molar fell out in my hand. Thursday night she lost a second one. Now I have two cute little puppy teeth in my jewelry box.

In closing, Andi tagged me for the Six Things About Me meme. I think I've done this one before, but I'm sure I can come up with six more things you don't know about me.

1. I detest cakes that taste like fruit. That is to say, I can deal with fillings including real fruit--raspberry filling in wedding cake, etc, but fake fruit flavorings totally gross me out. Orange cake, strawberry cake, pineapple cake--God forbid, banana cake. YUCK!

2. I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of running cherry blossoms. I expect it would reach from my left shoulder blade to the base of my neck. I'd like something colorful and delicate.

3. My hair has grown out past my shoulders. I'm notorious for my rotating hairstyles and colors, and when I finally ran out of short cut ideas a year or so ago, I decided to go polar opposite and let it grow out. It's really really curly, so I tend to wear it up a lot to keep it out of my face. I think it's time to chop it off and dye it auburn again.

4. I'm a horrible movie watcher. I go through phases when I can't get enough movies, but right now I'm in a dry spell (have been for almost a year). I get a Netflix movie, keep it for two months, finally watch it, and then send it back for another movie I'll keep for two months. Luckily I've downgraded my package, so I'm not wasting *much* money.

5. I would love to bake more. I have lofty ideas of baking exotic desserts, massive cakes, and pies with towering meringues. And no counter space to do it. Hmmphf.

If you'd like to do the meme, leave me a comment and I'll check out your answers! I love doing these things and reading others' answers.

8 comments:

  1. You're much braver than me reading that animal cruelty book, and I'm a vegetarian already!

    I've never had a fake fruit flavoured cake (not a big fan of cake in general), but that sounds really disgusting! I had anything 'strawberry' flavoured (jelly, yogurt, etc.), although I do like eating actual strawberries! I'm growing my hair out too, but it's nowhere near my shoulders yet. (And it will never be curly...even in 90% humidy it's stick-straight. Boo!) I used to love watching movies, but right now I don't do Netflix or Blockbuster, so I mainly rewatch movies I already own or old classics from TCM. It's definitely increased my reading hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the environmental blog thing, too, but i steered away from that book for just the reasons you listed . . . and you're so much the braver person for taking it on.

    and i hate fake fruit-flavored anything. . .

    but i do love movies . . . tonight it's We Are Marshall and whatever else the library has available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love lazy Saturdays? They don't come often enough. We are Marshall is good - very inspirational. I didn't watch that many movies until I got Blockbuster Online. Now it cuts in my reading big time. LOL. Have a great vacation and congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying a lazy Saturday here as well - must be some sort of record for us both to be doing so at once. And I am glad to hear you are boarding your dog...I never understand why people don't! If you do it while she's young, as Daisy is,she'll come to LOVE being boarded. Also, I'm the same way with my blockbuster queue and I've let go of the guilt - at least I have a movie around when I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eva, luckily it's a really compelling book. It's sort of inflaming me at the moment with all the stats about animal cruelty at the hands of industry. Bring on vegetarianism! Or at least the humane treatment of food animals.

    And I envy your straight hair. Everyone wants what they don't have, right?

    Andi, do you have a separate blog for your environmentalism? If so, what's the link?

    Speaking of movies, I LOVE Netflix's watch on demand feature. So great! That might be the perfect fix. Lots of choice at my fingertips.

    Thanks, Kristy! When I first got Netflix I was absolutely addicted! I would blow through seasons of Scrubs in a matter of days. lol

    Courtney, I hope Daisy enjoys boarding! Maybe she'll think of it as a vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do realise that there is just the possibility that when you get back daisy will sulk to pay you out for leaving her behind? That happened to a friend of mine. It was a week before her Lab would speak to her again. Better get ready with the bribery gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and already love it! I think we have similar tastes in what we read, too. Like Eva, I'm a vegetarian (what started as an experiment in college stuck -- for over 20 years now!) and I tend to skip the animal cruelty books...

    I did the meme last week: here's my link: http://bookclubclassics.com/Blog/2008/05/09/winner-of-apples-oranges-and-6-things-about-me/

    Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly what you mean. I just took on an assignment to write about rape and child sexual abuse. It will be awful but I feel that I need to do it. The world will be better for people like us having enough courage to look at the bad parts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!