Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Sunday Salon - In Which She Reads Again

Thanks to vacation I finally feel as if I have my reading life back in order. I found two fantastic book shops while I was away. I've already mentioned Osondu Booksellers. The other was an unnamed "Book Store." We happened to see the sign between Maggie Valley and Waynesville and went to investigate. The sign advertised 200,00 books in stock, and I can't imagine there was any less than that. The small building that housed the book store was stuffed to the proverbial gills. Each aisle was stacked from floor to ceiling, the books were two rows deep, and the aisles were so close together I could only shuffle sideways through the stacks. It was really quite overwhelming, but of course I managed to pick up two used books: Les Liaisons Dangereuses, by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, and The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards.

In other news, I finished one of my vacation/review books this morning. Why Animals Matter: The Case for Animal Protection (Erin E. Williams and Margo DeMello) was beyond awesome. It is some of the best non-fiction I've read in a while. As you might imagine, given my gooey attitude toward animals, it was not an easy read. However, it was incredibly informative, striking, and I daresay it will heavily impact some of the changes I make in regards to eating meat. More to come in the form of a review at The Environmental Blog, and I'm sure I'll discuss it more at Unlikely Activist.

Now I'm heavily into Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and I hope I can finish it in the next couple of days. If I get some uninterrupted reading time I'll be set.

As for upcoming reading, I have some goodies on the horizon. I need to read Other Voices, Other Rooms, by Truman Capote for the Year of Reading Dangerously. Beyond that, I have an assload (pardon my French, but I've gone way beyond a buttload) of review books to tackle with more falling in the door every day. Whew!

Keep an eye out for upcoming Daisy stories and pics. She's REALLY glad to be home from her boarding adventure at the vet's office, and she's losing teeth left and right!

Note: Check out the Why Animals Matter website for additional information about factory farming, animal testing, and links to animal aid organizations.

14 comments:

  1. Good to have you back and I'm sure Daisy feels the same. Oh those unexpected book shops and the unexpected holes they make in your pocket. I love them. My bank manager has a very different and totally unreasonable attitude towards them. Miseryguts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann! Daisy is very relieved to be home and asleep in her big fluffy chair. As for book shops, they're definitely the key to my waning finances. But I'd rather spend $$$ on books than almost anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookshops like that are wonderful, though occasionally you've got to wonder if the owners really want to sell the books. With some of them, there's the distinct impression that if they didn't need to eat, they'd quite happily throw you out and spend the day reading the stock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read your thoughts on Other Voices, Other Rooms. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And I look forward to the Daisy cuteness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear Why Animals Matter was worth the pain it must have caused to read about that trauma. . . I'll look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why Animals Matter sounds really good. I am going to add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like your blog- and thanks for stopping by mine! i'll be interested to hear what you think of the capote. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why Animals Matter sounds quite good. Purebreed dogs are really popular as pets here and from what I understand there are some pretty dodgy breeding farms supplying the pet stores. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started AVM while you were gone. It's very thought provoking and I'm thinking potentionally life-changing. Kind of scary isn't it, when you stop to wonder where our food comes from. And the animal book sounds heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this was chock full of great information! Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, good point, Stu. I don't think she really cared if we bought anything or not. I got the feeling she really enjoyed frolicking in the books.

    I can't wait to get started with it, Nymeth! For now I'm LOVING After Dark, though. SUCH a good book.

    Andi, it was dreadful in parts and actually brought me to tears a few times. However, I do feel MUCH more educated as a result and I'll be making some changes.

    Samantha, I hope you get as much out of it as I did. It was really striking, if incredibly hard to read.

    Thanks for dropping by, Marie!

    Nat, the section on puppy mills and the pet industry in general brought me to tears. I'm SO glad we adopted Daisy. We got her from a pet store, but it's a store that takes in dogs from individuals in the community, gives them first shots, and then sells them for a reasonable price to fund more adoptable puppies and kitties that come through.

    Heather, I could not love Animal, Vegetable, Miracle any more! It's GREAT! I want to plant heirloom seeds next year, and now I'm looking at the labels on everything to see where it came from. I stopped by two produce stands this morning and bought local ingredients for tonight's dinner. Yay! And our garden is looking good...we have potatoes, tomatoes, peas, and peppers coming right along. I also want to start making my own tomato sauce/pizza sauce, basil pesto, and other types of things to freeze for later use.

    Glad you enjoyed it, LK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That book shop sounds gorgeous I always wanted to own a book shop like that.
    You asked about my thoughts on The Echo Maker there's a full review on my page but I summary, I thought it was too long and sounded fairly familiar to loads of stuff i generally avoid, but it had good parts too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to two Farmer's Markets Saturday and got lots of yummy goodness. I got some collards that were out of this world! I don't usually like collards, but these were amazing. Which leads me to believe that she knew what she was talking about in that chapter about the supermarket and how they have bred all the yummy goodness out of our veggies. I've never had store bought collards this good.

    I bought some Amish homemade butter which is drool inducing. And some homemade French bread. And some tomatoes, mushrooms, strawberries, lettuce, broccoli, and herbs to plant. I have my own herbs!!! Squeee!! I'm going to make FRESH pasta sauce tonight!! Woot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!