Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Before I Go...

It's roughly 10 hours until I leave. I'm set to rise at around 3am in order to get myself presentable, drive just over an hour to Raleigh in time to park my car in one of the remote lots, catch the shuttle to the airport proper, sneer at the idiots in front of me at security, and finally make my way to my gate (hopefully) in time to read a bit and lounge with a blueberry muffin. Or nap. A nap is a possibility.

But, before I go, I thought I should tell you what I thought of Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life, by Lori Bongiorno. It was great! All I expected and more. The book is split into chapters on Food, Beverages, Personal Care, Babies and Children, Home Building and Improvement, Energy and Water Conservation, Apparel and Furnishings, Cleaning, Pest Control, Backyard and Garden, Transportation, and 3Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

In addition to the chapter breaks, each individual chapter has an introduction to the topic at hand, as well as some sub-categories that fall within the larger chapter headings and the "green, greener, greenest" tips. This really and truly is a practical guide for those who wish to live an environmentally responsible lifestyle. There's no judgement in this book, only tips and tricks for little changes, bigger changes, and biggest changes that one might make in everyday life to help the environment.

While some of the info between these covers was a repeat for me--especially the food section as I just finished Animal, Vegetable Miracle and Why Animals Matter--a good bit of it was brand new. I especially love the fact that Bongiorno includes tons of helpful websites from various governmental bodies and independent foundations and organizations to hit up for more information on topics the reader might find especially important. I'll be looking into more organic cotton clothing, organic cleaning products, and I need to try to find some more organic farmers in my area. I actually plan to keep this book on my shelves for reference since it lists so many fantastic online and print resources.

No matter what your interest in environmentalism, you can find something that fits your lifestyle in Green, Greener, Greenest. Bongiorno is quick to point out that you don't have to go out and buy a new car or build a new home to be environmentally responsible. The little things we do every day impact the environment in a big way, so this book is more about encouragement than anything else. Two thumbs up!

I'll be sure to toast all my bloggy buddies when I'm hunkered down over a too-expensive meal in the hotel restaurant or a too-expensive cocktail in the hotel bar. Cheers to booze, food, and good friends. They're the best part of a conference.

"See" y'all Friday!

Note: Pardon any leftover typos. I've already published this twice (sorry feed readers)!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I need to get my hands on. Have fun at the conference!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that this book has tips for little changes. I need to get my hands on it.

    Have a safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little victories and changes are what matter in the long run. I'm looking into organic cleaning products to reduce chemical use as well. And no more plastic bags for grocery! They're really really bad.

    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're having a good trip and enjoying everything you downloaded on your iPod! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the book recommendation. I have the Kingsolver but haven't read it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you'd totally love it, Iliana!

    Nymeth, it's wonderful. So many good tips and resources to help put them into action.

    Matt, same here on the organic cleaning products. ACtually, I found a really nice source with "recipes" for home cleaning products made from harmless soaps, white vinegar, and baking soda. Those three ingredients will clean just about everything.

    Thanks, Bellezza! The only catch--no go on the iPod. I pulled out of my driveway at 3:30 am on Wednesday morning and the iPod locked up (software issue), so I had to leave it at home to run down so I can recharge it and start over. All my stuff is still in tact, but I was musicless and audio bookless. :(

    LK, I hope you adore it as much as I did. It might be my favorite of the year so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!