Sunday, June 29, 2008

RAT - Hour 22-24

Ugg. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel. Not for a lack of want, but it seems the world is conspiring against me. Daisy has decided she's needy (not surprsing after a bout of vomiting this morning....think she has a cold/sinus drainage). B is playing on his computer. I have a headache.

I've been chipping away at The Book of Lost Things since a breakfast run around 8:00. Here's the rundown thus far for the whole challenge:

Books finished: 2 - The Shadow of Ghadames and Blood and Chocolate
Books dabbled in: Reading Like a Writer, by Francine Prose; The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, by Alan Moore; The Complete Crumb, by Robert Crumb; The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly
Pages Read since my last post: 33
Total pages read in the challenge: 452
Amount of time spent reading since my last post: 45 minutes (on and off)
Total amount of time spent reading in the challenge: 380 minutes

It's a pretty darn poor showing for my first RAT, but I do hope I can improve on these numbers next time. As I mentioned in my previous post, I will make some big changes to the way I do things in order to free up more time, locations, and types of reading material. Audiobooks are a must for the next attempt.

If I do read some more by the end of hour 24 I'll update then. For now I have no idea how much more time I'll have at my disposal. Gotta crank out some revisions for the next Bibliobuffet column!

Thanks so much to Dewey and her cohorts for all of their fine work in setting up the RAT. This has been a blast. I will definitely be doing some more cheerleading before it's all said and done.

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Ummm, sadly, hours 12-24. But "real life" had a hand in that.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Definitely Blood and Chocolate.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope!

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I thought the mini challenges were executed wonderfully!

5. How many books did you read? 2 *sad face*

6. What were the names of the books you read? see above

7. Which book did you enjoy most? I enjoyed both, but definitely Blood and Chocolate the most. It was so good, in fact, I had a hard time getting another book to "stick."

8. Which did you enjoy least? Probably Crumb comics. I love Crumb, don't get me wrong, just not for a read-a-thon.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? NA

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I will DEFINITELY participate again! You'd have to beat me away with a stick. I would love to remain a reader. I don't think I'm talented enough to read and cheerlead full-time.

11 comments:

  1. Aww, poor Daisy.

    I'm sure you'll do even better next time, Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great! I only completed two books also. Congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real life is annoying sometimes, huh? But congrats anyway, and don't be down on yourself! No more frowny faces. :p lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It isn't always about finishing. I hope you had a good time for the part you were able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for finishing, even if you did fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you here; I did not get nearly as much read as I thought I would - but those pets do intervene. . . but next time, I may think about doing this with no phone and a very set internet schedule . . . we'll see. . . but be proud of what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did a fantastic job! I know I couldn't do it; I don't have the attention span required for such a long stretch of reading. I'm glad to see you liked Blood and Chocolate. I have it on my Bookmooch wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on making it through! It can't have been easy, but it sounds like it was a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry to hear the pooch is sick. Hope you get your reading done. Sucks when you HAVE to do something, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats - I am soooo impressed by people who battle on regardless. I missed this read-a-thon thingemy that everyone seems to be engaged with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jesus. 452 pages in less than 24 hours? I couldn't pull that off.

    How was I not aware of this challenge? (Oh, right ... because I'M A LAZY BLOGGER!) But I'll have to keep an eye out for the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!