Sunday, June 15, 2008

Recipe: "Kitchen Sink" Jambalaya

    I was craving spice one night last week, and I had leftover turkey sausages, shrimp, and plenty of veggies and spices. What better fix for a hungry girl, than this off-the-cuff "Kitchen Sink" Jambalaya? This might be my very first totally original recipe. Enjoy!

  • 10 Medium shrimp

  • 2 Turkey sausages

  • 1 c. Frozen vegetable mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

  • 1 c Quick cooking brown rice

  • 1/2 Red onion

  • 1 c Chicken stock

  • Tsp celery salt

  • Tsp Old Bay

  • 1/3 Tsp cayenne pepper

  • 1/2 a beer

  • Drizzle of olive oil

  • Dab of butter



  1. Put the rice on to cook in chicken stock and set aside.

  2. Over medium heat, in a large skillet, add dab of butter and a drizzle of olive oil.

  3. Add frozen veggies and red onion to the pan and cook until they begin to caramelize lightly.

  4. Add pre-cooked turkey sausages.

  5. Add cayenne, celery salt, and Old Bay to taste.

  6. Cook until flavors begin to blend and sausages brown.

  7. Add 1/2 a beer to deglaze pan.

  8. Add uncooked shrimp and cooked rice.

  9. Cook until shrimp turn pink.

  10. Serve with crusty bread and a fire extinguisher depending on the amount of cayenne you used.


http://www.grouprecipes.com/58605/quotkitchen-sinkquot-jambalaya.html

3 comments:

  1. You'll be writing a cookbook before you know it (and I'll be buying it;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....that looks yummy! Will definitely have to give it a try!

    I think I only have 2 recipes I made up on my own. Feels good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like that idea, Kristy. lol

    Heatheroo, let me know how it turns out. The turkey sausages I used were the Johnsonville brand with the cheese built in. Yum-o! (as Rachael Ray would say.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!