Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Sunday Salon - Murakami Goodness and Miscellaneous Life Stuff

Another week (and weekend!) under my belt. It's been a relaxing weekend--reading, playing outside with Daisy, and some window shopping.

I managed to finish After Dark yesterday while I was outside enjoying the view from my front porch. The view being Daisy chewing on a bone and chasing bees. She hasn't caught any, thank God. I can just imagine the results of a stung tongue. It would probably throw me into flashbacks of those first few days after I got my tongue pierced when I was 18. Not pretty at all.

After Dark is another Murakami winner. It's a review book for Bibliobuffet, so you can expect to see the full review pop up next week, but for now I'll just tell you, it might be another fave for the year. It's SO HARD for me to explain how great Murakami's style is because there's nothing terribly outlandish or unique about it on the surface level. It's really experimental but really readable at the same time, and I guess that's what makes it such enjoyable reading for me. Generally I don't think of those two qualities going together necessarily, but they really do in Murakami's case. Thank goodness I have another day or so before I write the review because this one will be a doozy to put into reviewy words. As you can see from all the crap I just wrote. My apologies for the nonsensical burbling. Really. hehe

As for the miscellaneous I mentioned in the title, I'm still wishing I had more time to blog. In fact, I'm planning to cut my writing responsibilities down to the bare minimum in coming days. I'm still editing Estella's Revenge of course, still doing my column at Bibliobuffet, but I refuse to put pressure on myself to review new books for this blog, and I'll probably have to cut out another reviewing commitment or two. I hate to, but sanity is pretty crucial at this point.

There will probably be some changes afoot in my everyday life. Nothing for anyone to worry about, but I do find it necessary to pare down my responsibilities in general in an effort to feel more at ease. I'm sick of feeling rushed and overwhelmed. I realize I do the rushed and overwhelmed thing to MYSELF more than anyone else could, so I have to turn the pointy finger around this time.

I found out the other day that I'll be teaching a couple of hybrid courses, an online class, and working in the Writing Center again in the Fall, so that's woooonderful news. I really get a ton of reading time and planning time in the WC early in the semester before it gets busy, so that's a good thing for sure.

In upcoming weeks you can expect I'll be stressed for the following reasons:
  • I'm leading that damn book group discussion on June 9th. I've got to re-read What I Loved before then. And you might remember I'm a leeetle nervous about what the group's reaction will be.
  • Hot on the heels of the group discussion, I have a trip to Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. I'm attending the International Conference of the Children's Literature Association (hosted by Illinois State University). I'm pretty nervous about that particular presentation seeing as I need to do some HEAVY revisions on the paper between now and the 11th of June. I'm getting a little panicked-breathy just thinking about it.

Enough whining. Daisy is napping at the moment, so I think I'll take a few minutes to read. I'm starting Keeper and Kid, by Edward Hardy. It looks like a good one. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How well I know the rushed and overwhelmed thing... and yes, I do it to myself more often than not as well. I'm old enough to know better, too!

    I finished a book earlier this week that's still spinning around in my head too much to write about coherently. I will eventually though. I look forward to reading your review of After Dark on Bibliobuffet.

    As for Daisy and the bees - one of my dogs got stung once, and his face swelled up instantly. Keep some liquid Benadryl around along with a syringe so you can just squirt it into her mouth. (Dog mother tip of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have sworn I'd left a comment here; apparently, not. I just bought After Dark myself at Barnes and Noble (the night I bought Jen Lancaster's Bitter Is The New Black). I can't wait to read it! Japanese literature is so fascinating to me...I believe I saw this somewhere else, too, could it have been on Tanabata's blog? We'll have to chat when I finish it. I didn't read your review TOO carefully, because I want to get back to you when I'm done with my copy.

    By the way, have fun in Illinois (my part of the woods!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the new look! After Dark sounds really interesting! I have pile of TBR books staring me down, begging me to pull one out. I wish I had more time for all the things I really want to do - like catch up on blogs.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Becca, at least I'm not alone in my self-destruction. :) And I will definitely keep some Benadryl around. My mom has a miniature schnauzer with a knack for getting into things, and she has to give him Benadryl for mystery bumps and bites all the time. hehe

    Bellezza, you're not going crazy. I believe you left a comment on my previous post...also partially about After Dark. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

    Thanks, Christine! And I just wanna catch up on blogs, too. I am, slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you'll do great with your book group and your conference!! But I completely understand the nervousness. :)

    My dog has never chased bees, but she's allergic to daffodils. We found this out when she was around six months old, when her face suddenly swelled up to disgusting, you-can't-really-look-at-her proportions. The vet said it's common in dogs, but once they eat them once they won't do it again. LOL Until we moved from England, my dog probably ate daffodils four or five other times, because my mom refused to pull them up. Good thing they don't grow as well in Texas or Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you'll do great with your book group and your conference!! But I completely understand the nervousness. :)

    My dog has never chased bees, but she's allergic to daffodils. We found this out when she was around six months old, when her face suddenly swelled up to disgusting, you-can't-really-look-at-her proportions. The vet said it's common in dogs, but once they eat them once they won't do it again. LOL Until we moved from England, my dog probably ate daffodils four or five other times, because my mom refused to pull them up. Good thing they don't grow as well in Texas or Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, glad you liked After Dark. Hahaha!

    But now I have this picture of your dog in my head running after bees and it's keeping me amused. I'm imagining my dog running after bees but no, she'd rather run after the small kids who taunt her beyond the gate which is not really a funny thought. Ok, back to bees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Murakami so much, and I look forward to your review!

    Good luck for the conference and book discussion! I'd be nervous too, but I'm sure they'll go fine.

    One of my cats had his paw stung by a bee he was chasing once. It became like...three times the size of his other paws. Poor thing. He seems to have learned his lesson, though...he leaves bees alone now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, apparently I AM going crazy if I can't even remember which post I commented on! I'll get back to you on "After Dark". On one of your posts. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!