Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Sunday Salon - On Nosehairs and Chunksters

It is a supremely lazy Sunday here. Even Daisy has been napping all afternoon (which means she'll be up late and nutty as a fruitcake). While I did spend a good chunk of the afternoon playing SIMS 2, and another portion making up a test for tomorrow's classes, I actually did do a little reading as well.

I'm making surprisingly good headway on The Book of Lost Things. It's one of those books that grabbed me by the nosehairs right from the beginning. I love those books. My nosehairs don't love it so much, but they don't get a say in the matter. Given my penchant for fairy tales this one is right up my alley (how many cliches can I use today?), and the writing is just lovely. It's a very cozy read, and today was one of those overcast, nasty-lookin' days when it's nice to stay inside with a book.

As many of you already know, I shy away from chunksters. That is, books that could be used in any of the following capacities:

  • for pressing flowers
  • as a doorstop
  • to stave off a burglar

But so far The Book of Lost Things is the best kind of chunkster--one that doesn't feel slow. Yay!

Last night I started Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair, and what a funny freakin' book this shall be. I giggled aloud several times. B looked at me funny. I expect this will be one of those easy reading memoirs that keeps me company when my brain is too tired for anything else. Last night I could barely keep my eyes open, but I just wasn't ready to give it up for the day, so it was a perfect choice. Woke me right up.

For now I'm off to throw together some pizza and wings for dinner. Nothing like junk food overload to top a day off.

See you all tomorrow. I'm feeling a resurgence of motivation to blog. Watch out!

12 comments:

  1. Lazy Sundays seem to be in the air--isn't it wonderful?

    Big books do make good weapons in a pinch. :-)

    Have a great week, Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizza and wings sounds great. As does the book! :-) I hope you enjoy(ed) your day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you are finding Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair funny. It's a very enjoyable book to read. It doesn't make you work to hard to find the funny and I enjoy that in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, LOVED The Book of Lost Things!! What a wonderful book, and such pretty writing!! Can't wait to read your review!

    I just read your post on moving back to Texas. I'm sure it is the right decision for you. I really hope things work out the way you want them to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had The Book of Lost Things on my Amazon wishlist for ages. Now I'm even more excited to read it. :) I can't wait to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got The Books Of Lost Things sitting on the TBR shelf staring at me. If I could only read just a whole lot faster!! :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been recommended the book of lost things by at least a dozen people so far...I've really got to read it! I really like John Connoly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've actually read 3 good books in the last month. I love when you pick up a book that you just can't seem to put down!! Not sure if you've read it, probably have, but Water For Elephants is a great one if you're looking for the next thing to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly aren't alone in shying away from chunksters! I have that disease and it is hard to cure, even when the chunkster is guaranteed to satisfy! This is one of the books that has been on my list ever since I purchased it as a gift for someone else. At the rate I am going I may be better off getting the audio from the library and 'reading' it on my way to and from work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought this book last Christmas for my son, but I can see I'll need to open it myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you found some books that have grabbed you. I'm hoping to read The Book of Lost Things for this year's R.I.P. Challenge. Is is sad that I'm already lining books up for it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I thought about you and Nymeth when I was reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!