Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Time Marches On

Chugging right along over here. As you can imagine, I've been up to my eyeballs in stuff to do in preparation for my move. Next Tuesday is my last day in the classroom, and I'm attempting to have everything so perfectly squared away that I can head out bright and early on Wednesday morning, thus beating all the 4th of July traffic and back in Texas by midday on Thursday. We'll see how that pans out. I'm raising my eyebrows with that doubtful look on my face as I type.

It's tough saying goodbye to this place and the people I've come to hold dear. I just have to keep reminding myself that no matter how hard it is, ultimately it's the right thing to do. It's scary, for sure, but everything I've ever done that was scary turned out to be a positive experience in the end.

Because it's a little late in the summer to get a teaching job for fall (I've hardly seen any advertised), I'm putting my hat in the ring for a boatload of library positions. I'm also scurrying to get my application in to the University of North Texas so I can start part-time on a Library Science degree in the fall (online). I feel really good about it, and unlike my other degrees, I'm not really in too big of a rush this time. I'm going to put my toes in the water, see if I like it, and go from there. I've also applied for some writing, marketing, PR and HR jobs in the Dallas area.

Lordy, I have eight miles of books to clean out, organize, and pack. A good bunch of them will be going on the "free stuff" cart here in the English department. I hate getting rid of my lovely books, but some I will NEVER read, and there's only so much room in the back of a Prius--even if the seats are folded down.

While I'm off trying to get myself organized, check out this week's Bibliobuffet. My piece is on the role of reading in relation to grief. It's probably the most personal piece I've written for them.

18 comments:

  1. Another great review, Andi! Books really are a wonderful comfort sometimes, aren't they?
    Good luck with the packing and sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, Andi! And obviously heartfelt. Good luck with everything, and hug Daisy for me! (And yourself, too, of course!)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nat! It is a huge comfort. The Book of Lost Things is a good cozy read for me right now, too. I can really get lost in it. Gotta find some good audio books for the trip back west.

    Lezlie, thanks so much. Daisy and I both love a hug. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't even realize that you were moving. I hope everything goes smoothly and please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the move, Andi. :) We'll have to get together for coffee or something when you're back in TX.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, I wish I could take a gander at that freebie cart. Lucky people!

    I just finished Big Fish I picked it up since you were so pleased with it. It was a nice, quick, cozy little read. Made me miss my grandfather so much. He was my Big Fish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a quick reminder that the 24 Hour Readathon is this this weekend, this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We need to get together when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah...the only reason I'll probably die in this house is that I have no desire whatsoever to try to move all these books!!

    Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andi, I really enjoyed your column this month. It got me thinking about the way books have helped me through some hard times. Your heart came shining through with every word.

    Good luck with everything you've got going on. A bright new beginning waits for you! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with packing (ick - why is it always so horrible). I'm going AWOL (vacation - no internet) so I'll say my drive safe and take care of you now.

    At least I know you'll have good tunes for the drive. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Nik! Unfortunately I am moving. And not looking forward to all the packing I have to do this weekend.

    Absolutely, DF! I can't wait to see all my grad school peeps.

    Heatheroo, it is a great cozy. I enjoyed it. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I loooved the ending.

    Thanks, Becky!

    Fem, ABSOLUTELY! I think it's time to crack into that virgin liquor cabinet o'yours.

    LOL, amen to that, Steph! I hate moving.

    Thanks so much, Becca. I'm trying to focus on the bright new beginning instead of all the difficult, heart wrenching stuff.

    Thanks, Sassy! In fact, I need to load up the iPod a bit more. Thanks for the reminder. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending good traveling energy your way. Hope the roads and the transitions are smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...and - I just read your piece on Bibliobuffet. It's wonderful. You have a lot of wisdom for someone who's not quite 30. You're going to be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with moving. Surely with the number of books you've got lying around that you'll never read, they're going to need a bigger cart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really good luck in your move back home Andi. I'm sure being close to your family will be a great help at this time, even if you may find yourself reaching for their necks at time ;)Good luck and happy moving!

    I've been trying to get 2 reviews to you but my net at home (and the tv) is down and I can't access books for quotations here at work. So expect 2 more reviews to be used in which ever issue you like in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great piece and pretty wise words, Andi. Sending good thoughts your way. I hate moving and packing books is the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Terri! I'm definitely not looking forward to the drive. I'm praying for a smoothe ride. And thanks so much re: your comments about the Bibliobuffet article.

    Stu, you're exactly right. lol It's overrun already.

    Thanks for letting me know about the reviews, Jodie! And thank you for the good moving mojo. I'm really excited to be near them again.

    Thanks so much, Katie. I can't believe how much my book pile has GROWN since I've been here. Sheesh! Lots of packing. I did get most of it done this afternoon, so there's one chore down. Now I just have to stress about how on earth I'm going to fit them in the car!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!