Saturday, June 07, 2008

Updates, Books, Madness

You know that move I mentioned? Not happening. I decided to avoid the stress altogether and stay where I am. So there. Enough discussion about that.

Now that I'm not so damn stressed, I'm on the fast track back to Normalville. Yeah, I feel very much like myself these days (finally!), and that means increased reading time. Right now I'm lovin' Keeper and Kid, by Edward Hardy, and I'm dipping in and out of Green, Greener, Greenest when I don't have a lot of time or motivation. I can read it in snippets with no problem. I'm also still listening to Spook on and off, and I'm enjoying it so far. The first section, on reincarnation, got a bit cumbersome toward the end, but overall it's a good time.

Yesterday I received a review book that I'd pretty much given up on: Blood Kin, by Ceridwen Dovey. I heard about it on NPR a while back and lusted after it HERE. I put in a request to the publisher to review the book, and I really thought I probably didn't have a prayer given the fact that the book has gotten really good press. But, surprise surprise, there it was in my mailbox.

In other bookish news, I discovered a forgotten Barnes & Noble gift card today when I was ruffling around in our home office. My mom gave me the card for Christmas, and I was saving it for just the perfect purchases. And I forgot all about it. So now I have $30 to blow on books (and an economic stimulus check on the way!).

I just signed up for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon. I didn't get to participate last year, but I'm SO IN this year! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go read more HERE. I'll be preparing my potential list in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Normalville! Glad you are less stressed. Not having to move does have that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristy! It helps a lot! :) Now if I could stay awake long enough to read I'd be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rediscovered B&N card? Lucky you!

    I don't know where I was last year but I don't recall hearing about Dewey's readathon - but I'm intrigued and will have to think about joining myself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you joined the readathon! And that you don't have to move. I hate moving so much.

    And you're reading Stiff! I can't wait to see if you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A rediscovered gift card -- I love it when that happens! Who am I kidding. It's never happened to me. But, I can dream. Glad the stress has subsided. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!