Friday, June 27, 2008

Workin' for a Living, and a Read-a-Thon

Whew, fast and furious! It looks like I have enough work stashed away to cover my bills for the fall semester, so that's a relief in itself. I told one of my students the other day that I'll still be teaching for the college, just online--from Texas in my pajamas. He thought for a moment and said, "Miss Miller, I'm pretty sure that's the American dream."

I do believe he's right.

In other news, Dewey's Read-a-Thon starts tomorrow at 9:00am pacific (noon eastern)! 24 hours of pure reading time. Since I'm leaving town next Wednesday, I have some packing to do this weekend, but I hope I can get a big chunk done in the morning so I will have plenty of time to lounge with a book during the 24 hours. Expect reasonably constant updates on the state of things.

I wish I could say I've planned out lots of great reading choices, but I feel certain it'll be one of those situations where I wander up to my shelves, pluck whatever looks good and is short, and dive in. I've been eyeing my children's and YA shelves mostly, with a few sideways glances at graphic novels and novellas.

Wish me luck!

I'm off to finish packing my office and go through these towering stacks of paper!

11 comments:

  1. Good luck! And I'm pretty sure your student is, in fact, correct. :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been tagged gorgeous! Check my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and have fun with the Read-A-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your student's comment, definitely one for the book. Good luck packing and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right about that being the American Dream!! At least one of them!

    Good luck with the Read-A-Thon. If it wasn't for work, I'd definitely have tried to do it this year.

    Oh well.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, working at home is great! I don't do it all the time, but there are large chunks of my job I can do from home, whether that's my home in Michigan or my home in Florida :) Another reason to love computers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, yep, I'm in agreement, Lezlie!

    Soj, thanks hun!

    Stephanie, thank you!

    Terri, speaking of books, I am writing one, and that little anecdote will play a key role.

    Stephanie, yep, I can think of others, but that one is right up near the tippy top for me. lol Sorry to hear you have to work!

    Amen, Becca. This will be the first time I'm working almost completely from home. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I think that's the American dream, all right. Good luck and have fun reading, tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, how do we get that dream on a consistent basis? When you figure that out, please clue me in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy the reading: sometimes it's better not to decide beforehand, as it may depend on the mood you're in! I love working from home, when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GOod luck on the 'Thon! I'm cheering you on. Have fun, Care

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!