Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Back in the Books!

Guess what I did today??

Renewed my library card! Since the closest library is a city library, and I don't actually live in the city with the library, it costs me $20 a year, but it's sooo worth it. Today alone I checked out three books I've been lusting after forever:



I've had my eye on The Sugar Queen, Sarah Addison Allen's second novel, since I read Garden Spells in one day when I went to my conference in Illinois. There's something warm and cozy about Allen's magical fiction. She reminds me so much of Alice Hoffman, and I might even like her stuff more!

Reading Like a Writer has been on my shelves for a bit. I picked it up and started reading it for the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon, but it was just a tad too dense for that project. I was having a hard time getting into the reading of it, so I picked it up on audio.

Finally, Sharp Teeth, by Toby Barlow, is attractive for the weirdness of the premise and the form. Written entirely in verse, it looks to be really interesting.

In other news, I've ALMOST got my bedroom cleaned up after the move. My bookshelves are double-stacked and stuffed to the proverbial gills, so I definitely won't be buying for a while. I desperately need to read some (MANY) of the books I already own. I've been hunkered down with Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair for a couple of days now, and I really like it. Laurie Perry's writing is warm and funny and the perfect fix for a move-addled brain. In fact, I think I'll get back to it now!

Watch for Daisy pics. Coming atcha!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new library card ... I don't know what I'd do without mine.

    I've had my eye on Sharp Teeth for while now. I hope you blog your thoughts about it when you're done.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who puts the library as a top priority when they move. Other people ask about local schools and shops when they're looking at a prospective house buy, not me. My first question is always where is the nearest library?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zombie, thanks! I haven't used mine so much in the past because the library always had a really crappy selection, but they're getting steadily better. I will definitely blog my thoughts on Sharp Teeth when I'm done. Can't wait to try it!

    Amen, Ann! I haven't always been a big library fan, but as I get older it becomes more and more important--as a place to snag new books I couldn't ordinarily afford and as a peaceful place to hang out with a good newspaper or magazine on a lazy afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $20 is not bad at all. There was a library in my last city that charged over $100 to borrow stuff if you didn't live in their zone.

    Sugar Queen was just sitting there on the shelf? Seriously? No fair. I'm #19 on the list for it and there are only 7 copies. I'll be waiting awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you--doesn't it feel great to have a library card?! Sorry you had to pay for it, though. I'm not sure what I'd do if I couldn't use the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Garden Spells and have The Sugar Queen on my list. I've never read Alice Hoffman, though I've always wanted to. I think I have one of her books -- Here on Earth. I need to dig it out, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like renewing or getting that new library card right? Cool finds girl. I bought Garden Spells just last weekend. I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!