Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Drunk, Divorced, and Covered In Cat Hair

Not me, Laurie Perry, author of this fantastic book from HCI Books.

Admittedly, based on the cover, I thought I was dealing with fluff. And if you consider fluffy writing that which is fast-paced and hilarious, you would be correct (but I think it's an unfortunate definition). Maybe it's just the mental and emotional place I'm in right now, but this was THE PERFECT BOOK for me. It was hilarious, as I mentioned already, but it was also sweet, and touching, and enlightening without being saccharine or maudlin. Laurie is hilarious (did I mention that?), and I would recommend this book to any woman who's ever felt just a little bit nuts. Admit it. Come on.

This is a review book for Bibliobuffet, so watch for a full review there week after next, but in the meantime, here's a favorite passage:

...I know there is at least one woman out there right now who is just as scared as I was, who knows what it's like to come home at night and lie in bed next to her husband or lover and feel completely alone. There's only so many ways you can write lonely, and I have tried them all. Nothing feels worse. You can't sleep, it's 3:00 AM, you look over at him snoring on the pillow and wonder why he is so far away, an unreachable distance.

To get a bigger, juicier taste of Laurie's writing before you frolic off and buy the book (subliminal pushiness comin' at ya), visit her website: Crazy Aunt Purl.

13 comments:

  1. Yay! So happy you liked it.

    I've been following her blog since before she wrote the book (possibly even before she got the book offer) so it was very interesting reading for me. There's something about Laurie that's just plain likable. It doesn't hurt that she brings the funny.

    Looking forward to reading your full review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny is good. I don't think I read enough funny books--I will have to look for this one. Sometimes fluffy is just what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in a real mood for fluff right now so I might just add this to the list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one, too. Same thing -- expected fluff, but it was really a little sad at times. Her sense of humor made it a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes this is just the kind of book you need, isn't it? I'd love to be the kind of writer who could make people smile, laugh, and think all at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a GREAT book, Sassy! And I think I'll be hopelessly addicted to her blog now, too. I loved her most recent post about Guerrilla Literacy.

    Danielle, I don't read enough funny, either. The occasional travelogue (J. Maarten Troost) or David Sedaris are usually the closest I get to the funny. This one was cathartic funny and still managed to be insightful.

    Let me know what you think, Christine!

    Nancy, it was incredibly sad at times. I could definitely feel that initial loneliness bleeding through the laughs.

    Becca, me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm currently covered in cat hair, so that's one out of three.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this author. The book does sound good. It sounds like the perfect book to read after something heavy or serious. Thanks for the link to her blog. I'm going to check it out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not drunk - at the moment. but I am divorced, and I will never be NOT covered in cat hair - so perhaps I should meet this woman. Thanks and I'll look forward to the full review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVED reading this book. I am a cat-lover, and my daughter a knitter, so when I saw the title I was drawn to it immediately. Thanks for posting; great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stu, have a cocktail and you're well on your way!

    Lisa, enjoy! It certainly is a great book to rebound from something very serious. I also think it would be a GREAT slump buster. I was on the verge of a slump and it pulled me right out.

    LOL, Andi. I think you'd enjoy this one...not for the cats or cocktails, but it is a nice memoirish book.

    Thanks, Diane! I'm not a knitter (yet), but this one really gives me that urge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi andi--i got this book b/c i saw it here on your site a couple of weeks ago, but i didn't like it as much as you do. tho' there is something very real and funny about her and all of the obsessive knitting (there are a LOT of obsessive knitters out there). anyway, i kinda tapered off and didn't finish it. although i hate to admit it, i liked eat, pray, love better. (hide my head in shame, i know.) so why do i feel compelled to admit it here in a comment then? i can't really explain it! :-) maybe it's a matter of timing and i wasn't feeling quite so nuts at the moment. or at least not that kind of nuts, so i went back to murakami. perhaps that was the mistake, i tried to go to crazy aunt purl from murakami.

    anyway, also got the "another dirt sandwich" you had in the same posting. now that one is fun, even if a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard great things about this book for several months now. Glad it lived up to all the hype for ya. I'll get to it eventually. It looks like a fairly quick read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!