Monday, July 21, 2008

Gleeeful, Except for that Monday Thing


Well, damn. Cameras are allowed at the Dallas World Aquarium, and I didn't take one for fear of being tossed out on my duff. I obviously had the aquarium confused with a Dixie Chicks concert. Hmmf. No original pics therefore, but I did have a great time. I can tell you without a doubt that the Pygmy Marmoset is the cutest animal alive (a sloth in a basket coming in a very close second).

The aquarium was way freakin' cool, and it was really more of an indoor zoo than strictly an aquarium. It's eight stories of rainforest with paths that lead from the top to the bottom through various exhibits--birds, sloths, bunnies, coral reefs, SHARKS, manatees, and other creatures so wonderfully unidentifiable as to make me squeal with glee. Glee I tell you. You'd think I'd never seen animals in captivity. The HUMONGOUS Orinoco Crocs almost made me lose my bladder.

After combing the aquarium, Mom and I stopped at the Black-Eyed Pea for a good ole comfort food lunch (meat loaf for her, turkey and dressing for me) and then we came home, cleaned out a closet, and were generally lazy for the rest of the day.

Today, however, was not so laid back. Mom was off work, so I decided to skip my morning workout and spend the day reading and sleeping and visiting with her. I woke up at 6:00 (thanks, Daisy) and napped from 8:00-10:00 if that tells you anything (And is a lazy slob. Yes, oh yes, she is). Alas, it was not to be. Daisy bit through my laptop's power cord, and sent me on a very frustrating scavenger hunt to find a replacement. Don't worry, she wasn't hurt. I have no idea how she didn't shock the hell out of herself, but she didn't. Thank God. I now have a nice little cover for the cord. After finally securing a new power adapter at Staples (20 miles away) I came home only to discover that it did not actually charge my laptop's battery--just provided a power source. SO I was off to Toshiba's website where I found much to my shock and amazement that they are CHEAPER than Staples. Who knew? So I've now ordered a replacement just like my old adapter for a lesser price, and I can take the current one back to Staples within 14 days. OH, and when I unplugged it earlier I found that it has indeed been charging the battery even though it's not supposed to. How? Hell if I know.

It has been SO VERY Monday. I'm off to finish Quiet, Please and start the Bibliobuffet review. And if you're interested, my piece for this week's "Finicky Reader" column is a review of Laurie Perry's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair. I know I've already raved about it here, but for more quotes and my effusive praise, click HERE. The name of my review is "Single, Snarky & Covered in Canines." I couldn't help myself.

20 comments:

  1. I love zoos!! Even the tiny little crappy one we have where I live. And whatever those things are in your picture are freaking adorable! (perhaps the pygmy marmosets you spoke of??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zoos, aquariums, etc.! How cool that this one was so special.

    Must've been the day for animals vs. computers. I awoke (yes, I'm a lazy sloth animal as well) around 9:00 to a loud boom and Fiona (small wondercat) diving under my bed. She'd knocked my Mac downstairs off the table. It's brand new and actually the school's--I'm borrowing it over the summer. She must've run through the power cord or something. Luckily nothing was broken but she was sure trying to look innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, me too! And yes, those are the marmosets. They're soooo cute. I just wanna snorgle one.

    Tammy, I was really shocked and amazed! It was a little expensive to tour (about 20 dollars), but based on the vast amount of work they've done to the place and the complicated coolness of it, it was TOTALLY worth it! And I'm glad to hear that your laptop (the school's) is OK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally cute photo! On the bright side at least you weren't arrested as you previously feared :)

    Oh no, Daisy needs a toy! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you will depose Daisy from the top of the 'cutest animals alive' list then what else can you expect? What else do you deserve other than to be woken at six and have your power cables chewed through?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute monkey picture! Wait, are those monkeys? I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lightheaded, that's so true! Arrested would not be a good time. As for Daisy, she has a boatload of toys (several new ones in fact). She was chewing on one when she accidentally chomped through the cord. lol

    LOL, Ann, good point there. It must've been retaliation.

    Nik, they are monkeys! Little tiny frolicsome (sp?) monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed the day out so much - and that picture of the marmosets - wow!
    I'm not a zoo fan myself - too much sadness to see those animals confined. but aquariums - perhaps I'm hypocritical - but I love those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting - we have always talked about going there but have never been. Have I mentioned that I have lived in the Dallas area my entire life and have never been? I have to get out more.

    Bad puppy! I am so glad Rudy is over that stage (for the most part.) All he chews on now are his toys and sometimes my bras, but who can resist chewing on a bra really?

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW WOW WOW! Your aquarium sounds AWESOME! I love the aquarium but oddly I've only been to the Baltimore Aquarium, not the one in D.C. - don't ask me how that happens!

    When we first got Lucy she chewed through what had at that time been my 3rd cell phone charger. I wanted to hang her by it but then ended up finding one on-line for like $10! It all worked out. We learned our lesson after she ate through hubby's PSP charger! No more wires on the floor.

    Hope you got to relax a little later on monday! Happy Tuesday....

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Andi. I know what you mean. I feel like I should feel bad to see the animals in confinement, but I'm just so tickled to be able to watch them that I get all overwhelmed and forget my cause! Oy!

    Cold, GO NEXT WEEKEND. It is amazing. You can peer down from any of the levels into a central pool full of manatees and really big swimming things. It's FREAKY to see them rise up out of the water and whatnot. And I'm with Rudy...bras are tasty.

    Funky, whenever you hit up the DC one let me know how it is. And in Daisy's defense she was actually chewing on a toy and accidentally chomped through the laptop cord. We've just about broken her from chewing on them recreationally. Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've just reminded me that I haven't been to the aquarium in way too long. Must add to my social calendar!

    And pygmy marmosets are the cutest darn things. I saw some at a zoo once that followed me wherever I went, and when I waved my hand in front of the glass they turned their heads around and around, following it. So darn endearing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They have sharks and it's eight stories?! I never thought it looked that big from the outside but well I'm impressed. I'll be visiting Dallas quite a bit over the next few months so maybe I'll go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those things in the picture- that's not photoshopped?? I mean, they are real? Wow I have never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love aquariums - the one here in Atlanta is awesome, and we are supposed to be getting manatees in , for which I will have to make another trip. Everytime a relative or friend comes into town, we make a trip there. Mike got tired of it ages ago but I still love it.

    Glad you had such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL, Jen! How adorable!

    Iliana, it doesn't look that big does it? But it is! So so so impressive inside.

    Lisa, me too! I wonder if I can get one at Wal-Mart? Target maybe?

    Lisamm, weird eh?? They're soo adorable in real life, too. Like hamster monkeys!

    I loooove manatees, Lesley! Love them. They're maybe my favorites after the marmosets and sloths.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice article. What's a sloth doing in an aquarium?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The zoo sounds like fun! I wonder if my daughter's gone since moving over to Dallas from Fort Worth. Omaha is supposed to have a very nice zoo, but we've only been to the one in Lincoln. Gee, after living here for almost 16 years, you'd think we'd get out of town a bit more. ;)

    Glad the power cord issue got straightened out (and at a cheaper price!). What a nuisance, though. Glad the pup didn't hurt herself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well it sounds like you had a fun time at the Aquarium! I have been wanting to go to the zoo here in MN for a while because they have a new exhibit. I just need to get the time together to do it.

    Isn't it funny how much places will charge for the cords? I've found it absolutely incredible what they want for the simplest things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!