Sunday, July 06, 2008

How on Earth?

How on Earth did I fit that much crap into my Prius? Seriously. I would've posted sooner, but I've been up to my armpits in things to unpack and organize. I have far more books than when I left (oh what a difference a year makes).

The trip was uneventful. We drove for almost 14 hours on the first day, and that is counting all the stops for the pup and myself to stretch. She did a great job riding in her crate. She napped for most of the trip even without drugs! When we finally got to a stopping place in Pearl, Mississippi I started calling around to all of the motels I could see from a gas station to see who took pups. As it turns out, almost NO motels/hotels take dogs...not really surprising but still frustrating. Finally, right as I was reaching the end of my rope and thought we might just kick it on into Louisiana, the desk attendant at the Quality Inn told me that the Jameson takes dogs. Turns out it was one exit down, and they did indeed welcome Miss Daisy. It was quite a swanky room on the first floor, and we were right near a door to the parking lot, so she had easy access to some walks and quality potty time. She was really wound up after a day in the car, but overall she did very well.

The trouble came at bedtime.

She's crate trained. Thoroughly. She always sleeps in her crate. However, the way the car was packed, I was really afraid the entire cargo area would avalanche if I took her crate out, so I decided I would drug her and hope for a good night's rest. I gave her a dose of the vet's tranquilizers and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, around 11:00, she dozed off on the bed. She had three pillows, I had one. She wrapped herself around my head, but if it meant I got some sleep I was fine with it. We had three hours of blissful rest until....

She heard a door slam down the hall. It was all downhill from there. She got up growling and she paced and generally acted anxious until I finally gave it up, got dressed, and prepped our stuff to leave at 4:00. We were back on the road by 4:45 and we arrived in Texas around 11:30.

I couldn't be more pleased with the way she traveled. It could've been a real chore, but she did a great job. Ever since we've been in my mom's house she's been doing well. She's taken to the dog door with no problem, she loves going in and out at will, and she likes being able to nap on my bed when I'm working on the computer (like right now...snore snore). I would show you pics but my card reader is dead. Hold that thought, I should have a steady flow of Daisy pics for you by later in the week.

As for me, I'm adjusting well, too. We're having family over today for cake and ice cream to celebrate my coming home, and I've been enjoying awesome Tex-Mex food, my favorite Chinese place, and some good old home cookin'.

And did I mention I bought a book? Of course! Because I have so much room for new books. Hastings is a favorite books/music/movies store. They sell used books now, so I picked up a hardcover copy of Fay Weldon's essays, Godless in Eden, yesterday for 99 cents. What a deal! Who cares if I don't have room for even one more book! Eeek!

For now I'm off to help get the burgers ready to grill for lunch, and I have a red velvet cake to ice. I'll check back later!

20 comments:

  1. Glad the trip went well! Good for Daisy for being such a trooper! I can't stand to drive with my dog to the vet 2 miles away let alone across country :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have taken a picture of the loaded car!

    The one time we took our dog to a hotel was a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were driving out from San Antonio to Colorado Springs, we didn't ask the hotel if they allowed dogs and cats....we just were very sneaky moving from the parking lot to our room and kept them in the bathroom in case of accidents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you arrived safely, Andi. It sounds like a great trip, but an even greater arrival.

    Umm, Tex-Mex. Mind if some of us join you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are settling in well; I am glad that Daisy is taking a liking to her new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the trip went well and that you and Daisy are both settling in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No room for more books? There's always room for more books, even if there isn't room for furniture afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you are driving that far uneventful is good. Yay Daisy for being such a good traveller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I was as good a traveller as Daisy. That journey would have flattened me. Take it easy this week. I bet you're more knocked back than you realise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you got there okay!!! And that Daisy was a model doggie!

    Didn't take you long to hit the bookstore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to hear that you've made it back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are there safe and dog-vomit free. I can't wait for the puppy pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't even imagine making that long of a trip by myself with a dog. I'm impressed with you and Daisy. :) I know you're glad to be home. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the trip update! Glad you and Daisy are settling in well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. MMMmmmmm Red Velvet Cake!!!

    Glad to hear that you and Daisy did well on the trip and made it home safe and sound. Can't WAIT to see some pictures of your pup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to see the car full of stuffs! And the poor puppy...I know how crammed it must be! It's amazing how pet-unfriendly inns can be. Good thing is the motels in California are usually pretty accommodating. I took George with me on the camping trip and even the park was okay with the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, Ex...I was blessed with a great traveler.

    Lisa, I should've! If I'd known where my camera was I definitely would've.

    Eva, I thought of that, but I was pretty terrified of being kicked out in the middle of the night if/when she started barking. Although, since we hit the road in the middle of the night anyway, I guess it wouldn't have mattered!

    Come along, Lauren! The Tex-Mex is plentiful!

    Thanks, Beastmomma! So far, so good!

    Thanks, Nat!

    Stu, or furniture made of books! I've seen it with my own two eyes. It's possible!

    Yay is right, Sassy. Don't know what I would've done if she was a bad traveler.

    Ann, it's been a hoot recooperating. I was pretty darn tired the second day I was here. It all caught up with me.

    Heatheroo, bookstores are the way I get acclimated ya know. lol

    Thanks, Amanda! I thought of you when I passed the G-vegas sign!

    LOL, Nik! Me too! I can't handle vomit.

    Thanks, Lisa! We're seasoned travelers now.

    Thanks, Stephanie! We're glad to be settling in.

    Funky, puppy pics are coming very soon! I hope to post some tomorrow.

    Matt, I'm kicking myself for not taking pics now! Too bad you don't live closer. George and Daisy could have a play day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that sounds crazy. Rusty does pretty good with traveling, but I don't know how he'd do in a hotel. Hopefully I won't have to find out anytime soon.

    Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congatulations to you and Daisy on surviving the big trip! Gives you a new appreciation for the pioneers, doesn't it.

    I should have told you before - all LaQuinta Inns and Red Roof Inns allow dogs. Now you know for next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oops forgot to fill in your 'verification' and so lost my comment... here goes again: travelling with dogs sounds like travelling with children: sometimes they behave and at other times they keep you awake at the wrong time! Glad that's all behind me now :) Hope you have a great time, and yes, buying books becomes compulsive, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!