Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Sunday Salon and a Day of Fish

Usually Sundays are lazy days for me. Mom and I spend the morning in our pjs eating breakfast (bacon and cheese frittata today), drinking coffee, reading the paper, and watching the dogs act crazy. It's a restful, downright lazy day. We usually while away the mid and latter part of the day reading, napping, and maybe futzing around in the yard.

Not today. OHHH no.

Today we're off to downtown Dallas to the Dallas World Aquarium. We've always talked about going, but today we're finally getting off our butts to do it. Although, sadly, this trip will probably give me an overwhelming urge to swim, and I only sneak into the neighbors' pool when they're out of town. It's OK, I'm not a felon. We have a standing invitation to use the pool, but I still feel weird paddling around when they're home. Plus, I like to keep my bathing suitedness to myself.

But enough of that! In book news, I knocked off over 100 pages of Quiet, Please last night, and I'm loving it. Admittedly, when I first started reading, I thought Scott Douglas was a bit of an ass (or a "dick" as he writes on multiple occasions), and he might still be, but he's also a good writer. His stories are very funny, and VERY VERY accurate when it comes to dealing with the public in a public library setting. I went through many of the same situations he did when I worked in a library a few years ago. I won't give any stories away today, but watch for my upcoming review for some specific tidbits.

How's that for a teaser? Yeah, well, I'm almost ready to go to the aquarium, so I'm being a little vague in the interest of time.

I seem to be having a craving for non-fiction in the wake of my YA/fantasy jag, so after I finish up Quiet, Please I may try Mary Roach's new book, Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex. I dropped by the library yesterday to pick up my hold copy, and I can't wait to dive in!

While you're wishing that I'd done a full, humorous, worth-your-time post for the Salon today, go over and check out Scott Douglas's blog. He's way more entertaining than moi.

I'm off to see the fish! Might even try to catch a few illegal pics. Maybe I won't get arrested on a Sunday.

10 comments:

  1. Have a great time at the aquarium! This past winter I went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore quite a lot...Baby Maya absolutely loved watching all the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a great time at the aquarium. the one in boston is one of my favorite places! I love your description of Sunday morning- coffee, fritatta and newspaper. I used to love doing that with my mother too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the aquarium is great - hope you have fun!
    Ok, I need to go look for Quiet, Please... I read another library memoir (Free For All) earlier this year and seriously you cannot make up those stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love aquariums. You're lucky. Thanks for the comment as usual. I must tell you that I only have time to read in the summer and especially since I work so little compared to everyone else right now. I have to read as much as I can before it's all over. Have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard mixed reports about Bonk. I haven't sought it out. It will be interesting to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had fun with the fish. Some fishy fun? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard a lot about this one, but I haven't read it, yet. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to work in a public library unless it would be a branch in a small town. We get enough weirdos in the academic library. Did I say weirdos? I meant lovely patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love aquariums. Love them. Your Sunday sounds absolutely lovely, and I'm looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quiet, Please sounds like a fun read.

    Hope you enjoyed the aquarium, I love visiting them and have decided that the Pufferfish is quite possibly the funniest fish to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nyssaneala, it was sooo much fun. And I've heard wonderful things about the Baltimore aquarium. Friends of mine just adore it.

    Marie, it was a great time (as was the hanging out with Mom). Moms are just the best, aren't they?

    Iliana, isn't that the truth? Teaching and librarying have given me an arsenal of stories that I'm quite proud of (though I can't believe I lived through them at times).

    Athena, I know the feeling. I have the summer "off" for the most part, but when teaching starts back in August--along with my own grad courses--it's sure to be a hassle! The reading time will go right out the window.

    Deb, it's fun so far. I'm not far in, given, but I love Roach's humor! Spook I was not so thrilled with (what I've managed to read of it).

    LOL, Nat! Lots of fishy fun. We thought of having sushi on the way home, but something about it seemed so very wrong.

    LOL, Lisa! I know that's right. I worked in a public library for several months a couple of years ago, and the stories were unbelievable. I wanted to kill someone every single day!

    Thanks, Courtney! It was wonderful fantastic!

    Book Zombie, I agree with you there. I love me some puffers (even the little teensy ones they sell in the fish dept at Wal-Mart). Unfortunately I missed them yesterday as they were not on display. Blarrg!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!