Tuesday, July 01, 2008

*waves*

It's a bittersweet day indeed. My last day teaching at the college I've come to love, the last day in the house I've learned to call home, the last day with my "adopted" family (B's). I'm feeling a weird blend of excitement and angst, as it's always hard to say goodbye to a place I've come to enjoy. At the same time I'm excited about seeing my mom again, excited for Daisy to have a big fenced yard to play in and puppy playmates to romp with, excited about the prospect of going back to school and seeing my friends regularly.

On the agenda today:

  • Load my classes up on sugar. Donuts for the morning class, cupcakes for the afternoon.
  • Finish packing the remaining items: a few books, some pieces of pottery, trinkets and the like.
  • Put all my crap in the car and hope the Prius is somehow akin to that bottomless Mary Poppins carpet bag.
  • Say goodbye.

I plan to hit the road around 6am in the morning, drive 12ish of the 18 hours of my journey, and spend the night somewhere near Jackson, Mississippi. Daisy and I will finish up the last leg home on Thursday morning, arriving in Texas sometime around lunch. You can bet I'll be eating a steaming plate of Tex Mex by sundown on Thursday. Mark my words.

In the meantime you can read my musings on fairy tale retellings in this week's Finicky Reader installment.

See y'all on the flip side!

28 comments:

  1. Drive carefully, Andi! And check in with us as soon as we can so we know you and Daisy are home safe!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "as soon as *you* can. . . :-)

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traveling blessings. Have a safe one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck with the long drive! Can't wait to hear about the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a safe trip! Enjoy the Tex Mex :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simon & Garfunkel pop into my head "....homeward bound, I wish I was, homeward bound....."

    Good Luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drive safely and enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that happened FAST. Going home feels so good though - I am excited for you. Write when you get home, and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this week's Finicky Reader. Have a safe journey back home, Andi. I look forward to pictures of Daisy frolicking in the yard :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you'll find some way of fitting everything in. Possibly with a plunger.

    I liked the article. It occurs to me that some modern things that didn't start out as fairy tales in the 'oral tradition' sense are becoming so commonly re-told to children that they're almost acquiring the same status.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you are coming home, but am sorry about the circumstances that are bringing you here.

    Have a safe trip and enjoy that first bite of authentic TexMex! Happy hour soon for sure! OMG how about a puppy play date????????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Safe travels, Andi, and good luck with this new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a safe trip. I'll try not to eat all the Tex Mex in Dallas before you get here;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drive safe! Or, as my husband prefers to say, watch out for bad drivers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is always hard to say goodbye, but exciting too as you look to the future. Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. BY now you'll be well on your way. I hope the journey's going well. Does Daisy travel OK?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a safe trip Andi and Daisy! Can't wait to hear about your adventures on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a wonderful trip. I look forward to reading about your new adventures in a new locale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your finicky reader installment. Other than the Disney classics I am not sure I had a lot of exposure to or much interest in fairy tales until I got much older. In fact the real attraction to them began a bit over a decade ago when I discovered Neil Gaiman and Sandman which opened up a whole world of fairy tale and mythological reimaginings. Since then I've been very interested in retellings. One of the things I love about the Hellboy comics, for example, is how Mignola uses little known folklore and mythology as the foundations for his stories.

    You mentioned some really great works in the article, some that I've read and others, like The Bloody Chamber, that I have heard so much about I just need to go get it!

    Very well done, I really enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andi: hope you arrived safely and enjoy the Texan food. Look forward towards your next accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you a safe trip! And, I predict that you'll be at the big Half Price Bookstore by the weekend right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with the drive and move. Can't wait till you get settled!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Prayers for safe travels as you hit the last leg today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. New beginnings -- it's so exciting! I envy you everything but the drive. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!