Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Write On Wednesday, vol. 2

Today's question:


How does writing fit into your daily life? What’s your ideal time to write, and why? Do you “write on schedule” or “when the spirit moves you”?


Even when I don't have a set schedule, writing is a near-daily part of my life. Whether it involves blogging, writing a column for Bibliobuffet, crafting a piece for Estella's Revenge, or just jotting a few lines down in my journal, writing keeps me enthused with life.


Lately, since I have a boatload of free time, I've started trying to keep something of a schedule. I used to be a night owl through and through, but lately I find that I'm much more a morning person. This could have something to do with the fact that I've been teaching early classes for a few semesters now. In addition, Daisy is on an early-rise schedule. Her crate is in my bedroom, and I usually put her to bed at 10 or 11 o'clock, and she generally starts scrabbling around in her crate and wakes me up sometime between 5:30 and 7:00. With this somewhat forced early rising, my schedule usually looks something like this:


  • 6:00 - Wake up
  • 6:10-6:45 - Breakfast and general waking up stuff
  • 6:45-7:30 - Morning workout
  • 7:30-8:00 - Shower and get ready for the day
  • 8:00-9:00 - E-mail, blogs, general computer laziness
  • 9:00-11:00 - Writing and work time.
  • 11:00-whenever - A free-for-all! I chat with friends, have lunch dates, futz around, read, and generally do more work.

I try to work in an hour of solid writing time on the book every morning, and if I can get that done it's far more likely that I'll come back to it later in the day. Lately I'm also busy planning courses and creating material for the Fall online classes so I have to really play to my most productive times of day before I start feeling lazy. And now I'm prepping for the beginning of Library school. Wheee!

Thanks to Becca for another great Write on Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. See, that's what I want my writing schedule to look like! Dang Cheetos keep getting in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nik, don't feel too bad, Diet Coke and a restless dog are totally effing up my schedule this morning. Not to mention my upcoming phone orientation with one of the profs from the SLIS program at 1:00 today. I've been trying to get registered for classes and the website is not cooperating. Ugg! Looks like I'll be writing in the afternoon, if at all. See how the schedule doesn't always pan out. Blarrg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Routine? That's what people who don't wake up at odd hours with a sudden urge to write have, is it? Congrats on getting in at SLIS, and on the fee reduction thing. Tuition fees are always annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi, that sounds like you're on a roll. I might try the hour a day but with one finger I won't get too far. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dogs are good alarm clocks, aren't they? Except that mine are both lazy bums and don't get up until 9:00 unless I make them!

    I loved that you posted your minute by minute schedule! I'm still a schedule lover at heart :)

    Thanks for adding time for Write On Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andiloo,

    Love your answer. Funny, I thought, "I don't write anymore," when I saw the question and then I read your response and realized . . . oh, yeah. I do write. Daily, in fact, if you count blogging and those ridiculously chatty emails I've been trying to turn into brief missives for eons. I can't seem to stop. That's kind of an upper, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is your summer schedule, right? How lovely if it were year 'round!

    I have a Prius named "The Red Caped Crusader." Funny how cars engender names.

    It was fun to read your WoW response.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to this late (due to having been away) and, oh MY, do I envy you this dedicated hour or more of serious writing ON A DAILY BASIS - and ALL THROUGH THE SUMMER? Sounds too good to be true. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to be a night owl again!Not enough coffee (in the world) apparently. Cheers to you for having/keeping a schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a total failure at keeping a schedule and distractions do me in. I'm a morning person who likes to stay up late and coffee is 24 hours a day. I should be wired to the max but I'm so laid back it's ridiculous. Congratulations on starting Library school in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!