Saturday, August 02, 2008

Breaking Dawn (not a review, no spoilers)


Appropriate title given the last post, no? I seem to be coming out of my funk...slowly but surely. It actually started a week or better before I posted the last post, so it's not new despite appearances. The walking is keeping me out, friends are keeping me out, and when I'm home I'm generally working or doing something fun. And the something fun is what I'm here to discuss today!

Even though I haven't mentioned it, don't think for a moment I forgot about the release of Stephanie Meyer's new book, Breaking Dawn, today! I am ridiculously excited about this final book (from Bella's perspective) in the Twilight Saga. Alas, I made the TRAGIC mistake of reading some Amazon reviews this morning, and I got a face full of spoilers. In reality I don't really mind so much because I would toootally read it anyway. I have to say, though, this one is REALLY going to piss off some people. Really really! And that's not a spoiler. If you haven't read any spoilers you will be totally shocked. She's a wiley, twisty little author.
I picked up my copy mid-morning, and I'm up to about page 160. So far, so good. I'm sure I'll finish it late tonight or early tomorrow. This particular book has prompted me to think a good deal about what fans expect from their favorite authors and how much those authors should really be influenced or held accountable by expectations. More to come on that.
Until later, if you're reading along, too, I hope you're enjoying the ride as much as I am!

12 comments:

  1. There's a new one out? Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Twilight about a month ago, and am now frantically trying to finish the next two so I can get my hands on Breaking Dawn...it's so completely entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, now I'm intrigued. I really liked the first book, thought the second book was okay. I tried to listen to the third book but couldn't get on with it (not the content it was the reader's voice I'm afraid). So I thought maybe I had the vampire thing out of my system, but now I might just have to get this one after all. Do you think it matters if I haven't read the third one? I just want to find out how it ends. And I can't believe reviewers gave away the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Did you get my message on Facebook about the release party? Who does she kill off??! (No, don't tell me...) And who is "some people"? Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Andi, Reading Sister, you and I are so on the same page here. I made the same mistake of reading the reviews on amazon. Now understand that I am a serial last page reader, so the spoilers didn't bother me so much as the whininess of the obviously young teen reviewers. What the hell are they expecting? I am on page 185 and have to say, I'm really, really enjoying Jacob's POV. I cannot wait to hear what you think of it--and to read some actual reviews by people who think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post prompted one of my own on this topic. Stop by and see my rant.

    http://taminator40.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a fabulous read; the best of the series! Anyone who is complaining about how unbelievable things are need to be reminded that this is a series about vampires!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great, now I want to go on Amazon and read the spoilers! ha,ha... I normally wouldn't but I was really let down with the third book so I haven't been anxiously awaiting this one but now, hmm, I may have to reconsider. Can't wait to read your Sunday Salon post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AH, I was going to wait until my girlfriend finished her copy, but now I want to run out and buy it NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy it. I pre-ordered a copy and in the UK it is due out today. I will have to avoid all spoilers until my copy arrives and I have found the time to read it. Wish me luck...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the warning about the spoilers. I haven't decided if I'm going to buy the book, but I don't know if I can wait. (I'm 152 on the library waiting list!)

    And sending you lots of love on the depression front. I suffer with it too and have been so grateful that I haven't had problems for a while.

    PS I have my fingers crossed for Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed, Stu! It snuck up on me, too.

    Eli, I hope you love the series as much as I have. I hate that I'm all done with it. I'll just have to re-read! Well, until her other one--Twilight from Edward's perspective (forget the title)-- comes out!

    Danielle, the final installment could be slightly confusing if you haven't read the third. Just because the third one sets up a lot of the dynamic between Bella and the werewolves that plays out in the final book. But, if you just wanna know how it ends, I say go ahead!

    LOL, Jen! I don't think I did get your message on Facebook, actually. I'll go check again to see if I missed it. And some people = those who had a very specific idea of how it would all play out. Be flexible! lol

    Tammy, right on! Loved what you had to say at your blog, and I'm excited to see some "real" reviews at Amazon when the smoke clears.

    Amen, Robin!

    Iliana, it's veryyyy different from Eclipse, so I would say give it a go. But that's just me. heheh

    Stephanie, I wouldn't have the willpower to wait!

    Good luck avoiding those spoilers, Rhinoa! It'll be an especially great ride for you if you're not prepped for the big curveballs.

    Thanks so much, Purl. And I can't wait til you read this one. I wanna know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!