Thursday, August 21, 2008

Skipper!


I planned to attend new graduate student orientation today at UNT, but at the last minutes (10 minutes until time to leave) I decided not to go. Why, you ask? Why would an upstanding, responsible graduate student such as myself decide not to be properly oriented?

Because it's 120 miles round trip, and I'd only be going for:
  • The parking sticker (that I can get before class next Wednesday)
  • The student ID (see above)
  • The refreshments and cute little folder full of pens and miscellaneous handouts

Not worth 120 miles, my friends. None of it.

Sooo, bright and early Saturday morning I'll be headed over for an all-day class that will kick off my online class for the semester. I have no idea what future librarians do all day for a class. We'll find out come Saturday. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

In the meantime, I've lost my damn mind. My former boss called. The one that heads the English department at the junior college I taught for here in TX before I moved to NC. I spoke with them earlier in the summer about teaching a class or two, but the online teaching deal with the NC colleges was so much better I turned them down. This morning when she called, she was in a panic trying to fill an instructor position for a class that starts on Monday.

She reeled me in with the literature.

To this point I've not been scheduled to teach any lit classes for this fall semester, and that kills my soul a little. SO, now I'm teaching a writing/lit survey. I get to choose what I want. I can focus on short stories, poetry, drama, all of the above. Whatever I want. And that makes me positively drooly. I took it, and it might be the final nail in my fur-lined coffin, but this ship is going down happy.

Watch the next post for news on my reading flurry! Hurrah!

9 comments:

  1. I think that's great, Andi. If you're like me, the busier the better. I complain about being too busy, but I don't function well with too much down time.zzretbtc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice deal! At least you will have some solid income coming in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough, I had new grad student orientation today too! And granted, it's not the same school, but trust me, you made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the super fun teaching job. That sounds so great. I'm looking into going back to school online soon and you make me realize maybe it won't be so bad. (Bad because I love, love, LOVE going to classes.)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you start class on Saturday and then start teaching a class on Monday... Crazy girl! :)
    I'm sure it will go great. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting this one, Andi. I made the mistake of attending one of those orientation things once- all that running around staring at maps just tired me out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fantastic! You will be insanely busy, but the class sounded too good to turn down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can certainly see the appeal when you found out you could make your own choices about what to teach. Do you only have until Monday to decide? That would be hard! So many choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a great opportunity despite the added burden that puts on you. If anyone can make it work, Andi, you most definitely can--and come out on top.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!