Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricakes



Good afternoon from rainy Texas! My hometown is located in the northeastern part of the state, and as is rarely the case, a hurricane is headed right for us. Our area is only expected to get 3 inches of rain and 35 mph winds, so nothing serious. My heart goes out to the residents of Galveston and Houston and the other towns close to the coast. Our police chief and a few other officers have gone down that way to help with whatever needs doing.

My mom and I, on the other hand, being out of harm's way, have used the hurricane as an excuse for blatant laziness. We got up this morning, had pancakes (hurricakes), watched some Tivo'ed episodes of Ghost Hunters, and napped with the dogs. Now I actually have to get on track to do something constructive:
  • Grade discussion forum assignments for the online classes
  • Read journal articles for library classes
  • Do revisions on the latest Bibliobuffet essay
  • Dust

In reading news, I finished the final portion of I Am Legend last night. I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood for short stories or what, but I much preferred the actual "I Am Legend" novella to Matheson's shorties.

Now I have no idea what to read. I have several review books on the "immediate" pile with more arriving all the time, I pulled Sarah Hall's Electric Michelangelo down for a gander, and there are always my RIP III books. We'll see what moves me later in the day. For now I'm off to change sheets.

See you all tomorrow for the Sunday Salon!

11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're out of harm's way Andi. Hurricakes - love it. I have a sister in Houston, haven't heard from her since last night but I'm sure it's due to power outage and nothing more serious; they weren't near any of the flooding.

    See you in the Salon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seconding that relief. The problems in Houston have been headline news over here in the UK and I wasn't certain how close you were or even if you were in Ike's northward path. We lived through 3 inches of rain and stronger winds last weekend, so you should be OK. But don't let that stop you and your Mom using it as an excuse for a really lazy and indulgent weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dusting? Just open a window when the winds pick up. No more dust. No more living room, admittedly, but no more dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I made hurricakes too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andi, glad to hear all is well with you.

    Sounds like you're getting some nice relaxing, quality time with your mom.

    That picture makes me hungry. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurricakes!! Hahaha! I love it!!

    I do not love hurricanes. They are mean, nasty things. I'm glad you're so far north.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're out of harm's way. Love the hurricakes! Course you've now made me hungry! We occasionally get typhoons but typhoon-cakes just doesn't have the same ring to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terri, I hear there are tons of people without power, so I'm sure that's the issue. Glad they were out of the flooding!

    Ann, thanks! My mother had declared us hurricaneless around 3:00 this afternoon, and only a few minutes after she took up her usual spot on our front porch the sky opened up and we got tons of wind/rain. All's well, but Daisy is determined not to go outside to do her business.

    Ha, sounds like a plan, Stu!

    Mmmm, hurricakes! Great minds, Soj!

    Thanks, Shana! It was a very relaxing day. Although, oddly enough I got the urge to work around 10pm. Now I'm up late and can't get my brain to shut up.

    Me too, Nancy! The biggest hurricanes I've been through are Cat 2, and that's as big as I want to go!

    LOL, I guess it isn't quite the same is it, Nat? Hurricakes was one of those sayings born of a bleary morning when I hadn't quite woken up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson; it's raunchy, has criminal activity, a bit un-PC, basically sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll and I loved it. While hubby and I were driving back from the frozen wasteland, I read it and laughed the whole time. It is a quick read--I think I finished it while in Iowa. Hubby would be driving along and I would just start laughing, so he was intrigued. I probably would have finished it sooner, but I would go back and read passages to him while he was driving. Anyhoo, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a fab idea, Fem! And it's one of the few books I don't own, although I don't doubt I could BookMooch it in a heartbeat. Incidentally, I was just watching the Biography of Johnny Depp the other day, and he played Thompson in the movie! Wheee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Those hurricakes look fabulous. We're going to have plain old pancakes and bacon tonight for dinner. I'm too pooped to cook a real meal.

    I know just how you feel about I Am Legend. I wasn't at all blown away by his short stories. And, I think I liked the movie more than the actual novella.

    I'm still lovin' The Brief History of the Dead. Very thought-provoking and original.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!