Thursday, September 11, 2008

Man in the Dark


You all know I loves me some Paul Auster. However, I am incredibly out of the loop lately, so I had no idea until recently that he has a new novel out. You guessed it, Man in the Dark. Check out this short NPR review from author Alan Cheuse. Incidentally, you may remember that I favorably reviewed his two-novella collection, The Fires, recently so I choose to trust Cheuse when he says this new offering is a dandy. I'm woefully behind on my Auster reading after sucking down The New York Trilogy and a couple of his memoirs, Hand to Mouth and The Red Notebook. This one sounds just as fantabulous, and I'm sure I'll get my hands on it eventually.
If you read it before I do, let me know what you think!

7 comments:

  1. I'm on the list at the library. It looks like a really interesting book!
    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this author too and the book is on my list - it's had some great reviews this end as well. Meanwhile you've been tagged, but you may already have done this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't read it before you do, but thanks for letting us know there's a new Auster. I love him to death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen this in the bookstore the other day and then I heard this review on the radio and almost couldn't resist rushing out and picking it up immediately! I have of course grown into an Auster fan after reading him for the first time this year (Travels in the Scriptorium and The New York Trilogy) and I will certainly be checking out more of his work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear what you think of it if you get around to it before I do, Lezlie!

    Seachanges, thanks! I don't think I've done that one.

    Nancyroo, isn't he great?! So surreal and weird and loverly.

    I'm so glad you've become so fond of Auster, Carl! Now you need to try his wife, Siri Hustvedt. The Blindfold and What I Loved are her two best novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool, i didn't know about this either. i'll have to pick it up this week and let you know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend of mine just left it for me as well. Not sure when I'll get to reading it but hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!