Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weekly Geeks - Favorite Books Published in 2008!

Normally I am way. behind. the pack. That is, I usually don't read books the year they're published. I buy 'em or borrow 'em or get hold of 'em this way or that, and they sit on my stacks for years on end. However, thanks to Estella's Revenge, Bibliobuffet, and the library, I've been reading more recent books this year. What follows is the list of books I've read that were actually published in 2008, and those in bold are my favorites. Those in red were not my favorites. Quite the opposite...my least favorites of the year so far.

Thanks to Dewey for another fantabulous Weekly Geeks topic!

Oh, and none of the titles below are ranked by preference. Totally random order.

Books Published in 2008 That I've Read This Year:

You Must Be This Happy to Enter, by Elizabeth Crane
Master, by Colette Gale
The Sorrows of an American, by Siri Hustvedt
Green, Greener, Greenest, by Lori Bongiorno
Garden Spells, by Sara Addison Allen
Blood Kin, by Ceridwen Dovey
Blood Roses, by Francesca Lia Block
Coraline (Graphic Novel), by Neil Gaiman
Quiet, Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian, by Scott Douglas
Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer
The Solitary Vice: Against Reading, by Mikita Brottman
When You Are Engulfed in Flames, by David Sedaris
Man in the Dark, by Paul Auster
Ghost Files: The Haunting Truth
Halloween Night, by Marjorie Dennis Murray
Cat Nights, by Jane Manning
Queen of Halloween, by Mary Engelbreit

Of the tip of the top, they break down this way by genre:

Memoir/Non-fiction:
When You Are Engulfed in Flames, by David Sedaris
Quiet, Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian, by Scott Douglas
Green, Greener, Greenest, by Lori Bongiorno

Fiction
The Sorrows of An American, by Siri Hustvedt
Man in the Dark, by Paul Auster
Garden Spells, by Sara Addison Allen

Children's or Young Adult:
Halloween Night, by Marjorie Dennis Murray
Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer
Blood Roses, by Francesca Lia Block

Have you read any of these? What did you think?

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, no! I haven't read any of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always behind on reading books too so I don't read many books published in the same year. I think this year I've been a bit better about it but I also like to read "older" books too.

    The only one I've read from your list is Coraline (loved it!) but I really, really want to read the David Sedaris book. He's so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenore, I might not have gotten my hands on them either if it hadn't been for so many review books!

    Iliana, amen for the older books. There are so many I want to read, I know I'll never get around to 'em all, so what does it matter if they're current, right? The old shall not be forgotten! And you'll love that Sedaris. Funny as ever if ya ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! I LOVED Breaking Dawn!! I've only read it like three times by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of Estella's Revenge, I totally forgot about it this month because of being near death and all. Sorry about that. Maybe I can come up with something for November. I haven't seen a list of available review books in months. Are you still sending those out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh I just found a great xmas gift for my mother-in-law off your list - Green, Greener, Greenest would be perfect for her. She is completely eco-friendly-obsessed and always looking for new books about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!