Monday, September 22, 2008

WHAT?!

I'm completely overwhelmed. You never would've guessed that, right?

I went to the library to finish up some assignments for my Access and Retrieval class, and happened to ask if they plan to advertise any open positions in the near future. As it turns out, one of the girls who used to work there has recently relocated, and they need a part-timer to come in on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings and work all day every Saturday.

Now, you might remember, I worked in this particular public library in 2005. When I mentioned I was interested in the part-time gig, my former boss got back to me very quickly and from what I can gather the job is mine if I want it. There are a number of pros and a number of cons to this particular situation, and I won't run through all of those for you (I just sent Heather a ranty, frantic e-mail about the state of my sanity and my finances). Anywho, it breaks down like this:

Pro: Money is good. As is not having to do an internship for library school.
Con: Quickly dissipating free time for sanity is not!

Which meannns, if I do take the job I will have to seriously restructure some of my personal life. As it is now, I don't have the motivation or time to read much of anything. And that sucks!

So, while I'm whimpering in the corner, rocking and weighing my options, I'll tell you what I nabbed at the 'brary today.

I've already mentioned it here once, but I just had to have Paul Auster's new one, Man in the Dark. The opening lines are luscious: "I am alone in the dark, turning the world around in my head as I struggle through another bout of insomnia, another white night in the great American wildnerness."

The other find: Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World, by Davy Rothbart. Books like PostSecret (and that's what this one reminds me of) that I can blow through quickly give me a little push when I'm slumping. This might be just the ticket!

Signing off! Going to watch an episode of Ghost Hunters before I hunker down with papers to grade.

9 comments:

  1. That first line reminds me of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sort of in the same boat as you -- I'm in a journalism masters program and I've been applying for journalism and communications jobs all over the place. I just got an offer for a few hours a week, but had a really great interview last week that I'm waiting to hear on. I want to accept both, because I could really use some money and experience, but I'm sacred of where all the time to do anything is going to go!

    Good luck with your decision :)
    Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The balance of life, work, school, etc is always so hard to maintain, especially as a student. (Thank goodness I didn't have a blog in my student days, message boards were bad enough.)

    If you think that you need another job then this would be tempting - a workplace that you know (and hopefully don't hate) can be better than breaking in a new place.

    On that note, I should probably go do some job searching...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a difficult decision! I'm finding it difficult to balance everything as well, if it makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difficult decision, I think the best thing would be to give yourself time to think it through completely. Sometimes I think it's better to live in a cardboard box with sanity intact, than to lose your mind over work/school stress. But then I'm kinda crazy anyway :)

    Enjoy your library loot! Found is awesome, it's almost as good as PostSecret.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge decisions! I hope you figure out what's best for you. I keep thinking about doing grad school and the thought is a little terrifying. A full-time job seems like enough right now, how could I add more?

    I'm sure you'll figure something out after you have some time to think it all through!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Decisions, decisions! Why does it always seem as though we have to sacrifice something to gain something else??
    On the book front - I have not read any Paul Auster before but am thinking of picking up his latest - sounds like you are a fan??
    Hope the paper marking goes well - I just finished a batch today and it feels very good to have them done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, dilemma! Hope you make the right decision for you. I hate those reading dry spells, I always feel so guilty but find that sticking to newspapers and the New Yorker helps. Funny you should mention Found, as there's a short extract in today's Guardian newspaper: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/sep/23/art.pressandpublishing?gusrc=rss&feed=environment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kinda reminded me of me too, Heatheroo! ;)

    Kim, isn't that the truth? It's a horrible predicament. I've got my fingers crossed for the position you're waiting to hear from!

    Sassy, now that I've found this possible f/t library gig, I really have my parts crossed for it. It would be in a familiar setting with people I like, so that's a winner, too.

    It does make me feel better, Eva! While I wouldn't wish this struggle for balance on anyone, it is nice to know others are enduring, too.

    LOL, BZ! I'm headed for the cardboard box faster than I care to think about. And I'll definitely give it a good think. I'm an overanalyzer from way back.

    Thanks, Kim! Grad school is definitely a handful, but at the same time it's quite enjoyable and invigorating. Or it can be, anyway.

    Karen, I'm definitely an Auster fan! I've read one of his novels (The New York Trilogy) and several of his memoirs. I own pretty much all his stuff, now if I could just get around to reading it all! Man in the Dark looks like it's going to be a winner.

    Thanks, Logophile! I'll take a gander at that Guardian piece. And I'm sticking with DVD's and computer games to get through the slump. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!