Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hour 16 Begins!

Just finished book six, a shorty--In the Shadow of No Towers, by Art Spiegelman. I needed something that would allow my eyes to rest a bit, and this book has been on my stacks for a ridiculously long time, so what better time than the present!

It deals with Spiegelman's anger and confusion that came with 9/11 as well as the days and years after. The book itself is stunning. Constructed out of board, like a child's board book, each layout is two full pages; a huge expanse of space for Spiegelman to weave his most famous characters--himself as drawn in Maus as well as more realistic interpretations interspersed with classic comic strip characters. It's really a raw chronicle of his feelings about the incident itself and a searing indictment of the government in the years after 9/11. Spiegelman really is the father of contemporary comics. Excellent, as always.

Tallies:

Books read: 6 and a piece
Total pages: 838

Note: I tried to upload a gorgeous spread from In the Shadow of No Towers, but Blogger put its foot down. *sticking out my tongue at Blogger*

7 comments:

  1. I read this a couple years ago, and I agree, the visual art is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dewey, it's one of those books I'll probably need to re-read to really absorb most of what Spiegelman is shooting for. Especially with the classic comic strip characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to read that one... I loved Maus, and his style is very touching.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing good Ms. Andi! Did you start The Bookshop by the way? Such a good book. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an interesting book. He is one of the few people to write well about September 11 in my opinion.

    I have a little challenge up at my blog.

    http://www.readywhenyouarecb.blogspot.com/

    You can use the Speigleman book to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole, it's a good one! A very quick read too.

    Nymeth, go for it! :)

    Iliana, I haven't started it yet. I opted for Incantation, by Alice Hoffman, which was gorgeous! Might do The Book Shop next.

    C.B., I completely agree with you. He's probably the best I've read about 9/11. Thanks for the heads up about the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!