Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hour 6 Begins!

Hey folks! I took a couple of hours away to reallyyyy dig into my reading. Since I posted last I finished the final pages of Psyche in a Dress, by Francesca Lia Block. It was really a beautiful book: an odd mixture of mythology, coming of age, and poetry.

Then I picked up and whipped through Magic Trixie (vol. 1) by Jill Thompson (Trixie herself pictured left). I didn't realize it when I started, but Thompson is an Eisner Award-winning graphic novelist. She's the author of Scary Godmother, which I haven't read, but I will now, and I do believe she was a guest illustrator in Bill Willingham's 1001 Nights of Snowfall prequel to the Fables series. She's really amazing. Her art is dynamic, and eye-catching. Truly delightful. Magic Trixie is for the kids, but it was just as much fun for this adult. Magic Trixie is a young witch and goes to school with other supernatural creatures--vampires, werewolves, mummies, a Frankenstein-monster-boy. She has a quandary on her hands when she has to decide what will wow her classmates at show and tell--they've all seen her standard arsenal of spells. In the meantime, her little sister, Abby Cadabera, and her family at large, drive her nuts. This book ends with a sweet conclusion and a successful show and tell, but I won't divulge how she finally pulls it off.

Visit Jill Thompson's blog HERE.

You can visit the Magic Trixie block HERE for more of Thompson's lovely artwork.

Now I'm digging into my fourth book of the RAT, Wondrous Strange, by Lesley Livingston. This one is about 17-year-old Kelley, a starving artist/actress in New York City. She gets her big break in her theater company's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and find herself embroiled in the real world of faeries.

I wasn't sure I was going to like this one, but 40 pages in, I'm beginning to get in the mood. I've read a lot of fantasy this morning, so my next read will probably be something more realistic. Wondrous Strange is around 330 pages long, so I'll be working on it for a while. Wish me luck!

Here's the latest tally:
Books: Starting #4
Total pages: 356

8 comments:

  1. A friend of mine had a gig illustrating a children's book recently. Apparently the difficult bit is remembering not to let it take up every waking hour. Talking of things doing that, well done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're doing great! Glad you're making a lot of progress!

    btw, I love your blog title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed! You have managed to get a lot of reading done as well as visit blogs and whew, you are wearing me out! Check back in with you soon :D
    Icedream

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stuff Jill Thompson did for Sandman, and that picture you posted is gorgeous too. Psyche in a Dress really is beautiful! I'm glad everything is going well so far, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This illustration looks gorgeous! Now I'll have to search out this book. You're just roaring along with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you are doing wonderfully! I hope I can catch up a little!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing great. I need to stay off the computer to get more reading done, but I like seeing what everyone else is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Jill Thompson (in case you couldn't tell from my avatar) - her Little Endless and manga Death are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!