Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hour 8 Wrap Up, Bring on Hour 9!

Still going strong! Feeling a wee tad sleepy here in the transitional moments from Dope Sick to whatever will come next. Dope Sick was really good, and had Myers' signature oddness to it.
It's the story of Jeremy Dance, street name, Lil J. He's gotten wrapped up in the shooting of a cop, and as he tries to run away and hide himself in an abandoned building, he discovers Kelly, a strange man who just wants to talk with him. Kelly's TV plays back Lil J's life...any scene from any part, and it shows Lil J his future--perched on the top of a building with a gun to his head.
This book is really fast read, and expertly told. The structure, as in the only other novel of Myers' I've read, Monster, is really interesting. He tells an intricately woven tale full of flashbacks and asides that eventually come to a head. Check a future issue of Estella's Revenge for a full review.
Embarking on Hour 9, I'm not sure what I want to read. I might go back to Wondrous Strange, or I might break into Sloane Crosley's book of essays, I Was Told There'd Be Cake!. I'll report in later to tell the tale!
I think it's time to make some brownies or comment on others' blogs. My eyes need a break!
Tallies:
Books read so far: 4 and a piece
Pages since last update: 71
Pages total: 557

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I wasn't too sure I wanted to read Dope Sick from the description, but if you say it's good, maybe I'll give it a go after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're doing great...I know what you mean about feeling sleepy.

    I saw I Was Told There Would Be Cake at the bookstore and passed it over. Haven't seen it since. I think I goofed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brownies are always nice. I requested Dope Sick last week. It looks really good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Softdrink!

    Lenore, I wasn't sure I'd like it either. Without the element of fantasy with the TV that shows scenes from his life, I probably wouldn't have liked it.

    Bybee, I'm reading Cake now, and it's very funny in that sardonic Sarah Vowell/David Sedaris way. Good stuff! Snatch it up if you see it again!

    Sharonanne, brownies are always nice aren't they! I tossed in a handful of white chocolate chips to make 'em special, too. Enjoy Dope Sick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, look at you! Did you make your brownies yet? My hubby went and got me a bag of dark chocolate peanut M&Ms. Love him :)

    But, I think I need a nap or coffee now! haha.... I started a good book. I'll have to do an update post a bit later. Keep going Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Iliana! I did whip up my brownies just a few minutes ago (even added some white chocolate chips). Didn't get much done this past hour because I'm trying to avoid eye strain. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be worried about eye strain as well! You are doing great so far, and I have to say that brownies with white chocolate bits sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!