Sunday, October 19, 2008

Midway Through Hour 18


From Amazon (no spoilers)...

The opposing forces of love and hate, loyalty and betrayal underscore this brief but rich tale set during the Spanish Inquisition. Told by 16-year-old Estrella deMadrigal, the novel shows how gruesome beliefs nourished by ignorance and prejudice destroyed the lives of countless people. Hoffman weaves a tale of a close friendship between two teens, Estrella and Catalina. Both envision that their lives will be intertwined forever. However, there is a secret about Estrella and her family that unfolds in spurts.

This is the latest book I've finished for the Read-a-Thon, and it could very well be my favorite! It's a quick read, but like most of Hoffman's work it's rich in imagery and it's just a lush reading experience all around. I'm always fond of Hoffman's use of symbolism and color, and I always feel like I step into the world she creates every time I read one of her novels.

Here's a favorite passage that made me hungry at this late hour. Estrella approaches her grandmother to ask her some questions...

She was kneading a dough at the big table. Our table was so old you could see the dents in the wood where my great-great-grandmother had chopped vegetables. My great-great-grandmother had kneaded bread here so often, the table curved down in the center, and now my grandmother was kneading bread in the very same place. She added olives and garlic to the mix, then braided the dough in three parts so that it rose prettily.

Yeah, I want that bread now!

I'm off to choose my next book and maybe whip up a big bowl of popcorn. Or maybe just coffee. Ha!

Tallies:

Books read: 7 and a piece
Pages total: 1,004 <--holy crap!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Over 1000 pages read, and still going! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! 1,000 pages is definitely something to be proud of. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love alice hoffman! i haven't heard of this one, is it new? i've read practically everything i could get my hands on, even her YA stuff.
    good job on 1,000 pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Alice Hoffman and this is one I haven't read. Great to hear you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh.. I read Incantation earlier this year and it just confirmed how much I adore Alice Hoffman! Well done on the readathon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!