Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Out of My Comfort Zone


Happy Tuesday, peoples. I've been a complete waste of space today. I keep sitting at the computer, getting up, wandering around, staring at the bookshelves, sitting back down at the computer. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

The Gargoyle is one of those books that could easily throw me into a massive slump because there's almost no way that the very next book--if it's even remotely within the same genre--can measure up. Therefore, I'm taking a few flying leaps outside my comfort zone.

Yesterday I got a UPS package from HarperTeen, a copy of Tell the World: Teen Poems from Writerscorps. This is a book of poetry put together from the participation of teens in the Writerscorps programs in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, and the Bronx. The poems cover several different topics and the participants range from 12 to 19. I whipped through it in about an hour and dog-eared a bunch of pages to come back and re-read. You'll see a full review of this one in the November issue of Estella's Revenge.


This morning the FedEx truck pulled up, and I dashed out to see what tidbit of goodness it might be. As it turns out, it's a copy of You Lost Him at Hello: A Saleswoman's Secrets to Closing the Deal with Any Guy You Want, by Jess McCann. I'm not usually into the self-help/relationshippy books, but when TLC Book Tours offered me a stop on McCann's blog tour, I decided to give it a go. Heaven knows, I could use some advice, and since I don't have any particular business sense (well, maybe a little), I might even learn something! Publisher, Health Communications, Inc., also put out Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair, and I loved that book. I have high hopes!

Now, what to read next? It's a while yet until the Jess McCann tour stop, so I might as well read something else in the meantime. I keep staring longingly at my shelves with NO CLUE what to pick up.

If you're interested in hearing more about the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon, you can read my latest installment of The Finicky Reader entitled, "Extreme Reading." Maybe I'll look back over it for some inspiration. Thanks to the Read-a-Thon, Carl's RIP III Challenge, the Graphic Novels Challenge, and a few picture book reviews, my book total for the month of October so far is something like 19 books. Let's see how many I can cram in before Saturday, shall we?
Edit: OK, I found the great book that's going to keep this reading high going! I'm reading a book of short stories by Tricia Dower called Silent Girl. Each story is inspired by one of Shakespeare's female characters. I'm about 60 pages in, and it's totally got me in its thrall. One doesn't necessarily have to know the Shakespeare characters to "get" the stories--they're set all over the world and are truly heartbreaking and inspiring in some cases, troubling in others (think sex trade). Watch for more on this one!
Oh, and I did read 20 or so pages of You Lost Him At Hello. I think I'll be OK with the advice and "sales strategy" applied to dating, but like Joanne said in the comments, what to do once you catch one and he drives you nuts? Been there! I think I'm happily single at the moment, but it might come in handy when I'm ready to dive back into the dating fray. I'll keep you all posted.

13 comments:

  1. Teen poems? There are two ways that could go, and I'm really hoping that it's the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gargoyle threw me into a slump too, I got out of it by reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and the some comics. I needed something totally bizarre.

    You Lost Him At Hello looks really interesting, I wonder if anyone wrote a self-help book about what to do once you've got him and he drives you craaaazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the reading funk. I have a love/hate relationship with finishing a good book. Hope you find something great soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Stu.

    Joanne, I think I'm going to be able to avoid it 1) by reading the really short, quick book of poems 2) the short stories. I can skim over the trauma of finding another worthwhile book if I switch genres. And AMEN to your second sentiment! Maybe I should write the "what to do when you catch him and he drives you crazy" book!

    Got it covered, Nik! I'm shocked and amazed if I can really bypass this slump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a double take at the name Jess McCann--dh's name is Jeff McCann and for a minute there I wondered what he'd been up to. lol

    Read The Graveyard Book! You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After I finished The Time Traveller's Wife,, I just couldn't read anything else for awhile. The book was just so emotionally draining, it's hard to grab something similar.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you reader of fun things, you...

    I'm so jealous. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, please stop listing good books. How is a girl supposed to keep up? Silent Girl sounds amazing . . . let me know what you think at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Tammy! That would be a shock, eh? Definitely reading The Graveyard Book soon.

    Kim, emotionally draining is a good word for it! Sucked the life outta me (in a good way).

    Awww, look at you posting, Elise! I like your visual/spatial rhetorics page. Lots of stuff I'm interested in. I miss you, too!

    Andi, I hear ya! My wishlist grows every day when I got blog hopping. I'll keep you posted on Silent Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the only problem with reading a great book. Finding the next book to read. Glad you found something so soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Samantha! I'm pretty shocked and amazed. Usually I have a hard time nailing down the next read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still getting caught up with your blog and my TBR list has doubled already. Right now I'm enjoying the Vampire Diaries--thanks for the great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to review of the Teen poems book. I went to a poetry reading one time and it was just for teens. Lots of angst and that kind of stuff but you know, it took a lot of courage (and some had a lot of talent) to just get up there and read their stuff. Gotta look up to that and encourage that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!