Saturday, October 25, 2008

Wrapping Some Challenges...

The Read-a-Thon wasn't just fun, it allowed me to wrap up some challenges. In the case of the Graphic Novel Challenge and the RIP III Challenge, I actually went over my goals.

The Graphic Novels Challenge was to read six graphic novels this year. Because I love them so much, I've gone way over the six, but I haven't actually counted them all. SO, these are the ones I'm counting toward the challenge:

  • Mail Order Bride, by Mark Kalesniko
  • The Jew of New York, by Ben Katchor
  • Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days), vol. 7, by Bill Willingham
  • Fables: Wolves, vol. 8, by Bill Willingham
  • In the Shadow of No Towers, by Art Spiegelman
  • Magic Trixie, by Jill Thompson

Of these books, Mail Order Bride was probably my favorite. It was a great combination of dynamic illustrations and unique characters.

For Carl's third Readers Imbibing Peril Challenge, I chose to read four books, but so far I've finished six that would fit. We'll see how many more (if any) I can knock out by the end of the month.

  • I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson
  • Ghost Files: The Haunting Truth, by the Ghost Society
  • Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story, by Kim Powers
  • Evernight, by Claudia Gray
  • Magic Trixie, by Jill Thompson
  • Ghostsitters, by Angie Sage

Of this year's RIP books, my hands-down favorite is Kim Powers' Capote in Kansas. It wasn't a traditional ghost story, although ghosts did make cameos, but it was haunting nonetheless.

Both of these challenges have given me extra incentive to bump up my reading, and Ill definitely be in for the next round!

11 comments:

  1. You continue to be the hardest working woman in the free world! Enjoy the wrap party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing the challenges, Andi! I really have to get my hands on a copy of Capote in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Dale, you flatter me. Do it some more. :)

    Nymeth, I can't wait to find out what you think of Capote in Kansas. I hope you love it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay to finishing challenges! I think the Graphic Novels Challenge is the one I will have no problem finishing. Some of the others.... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing the challenges. I'm going to have to get that Capote book I've heard a few people say some good things!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I hear ya. I probably won't be finishing my own challenge, The Year of Reading Dangerously.

    Thanks, Kristina! And the Capote book is sooo fab.

    Thanks a bunch, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on meeting and beating both of your challenges! I need to get on the graphic novels challenge and get reading on some of those.

    It'll be my excuse, I think, to buy Alice in Sunderland, in all of its expensive glory. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow girl that's great! I'm taking note of some of your graphic novel reads as I really enjoyed the ones I read but still feel a bit at a loss as to what next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats for exceeding your challenge goals! It is great that you participated in the R.I.P. III Challenge and totally kicked it's monster butt! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finishing two challenges. I am surprised one of the fables graphic novels wasn't your favourite so the one you picked must have been really great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!